Why do richicon 404s not get cached for some duration?

Options

With Firefox's developer tools open, I noticed that the browser plugin makes a bunch of requests for richicons every time the dropdown UI with credentials is rendered. In this case, the response to every request is a 404. If I click into another field and back to the one where the extension determines that it should render, it makes the same queries again.
Why does this behaviour exist? The response headers show no cache control on the failed requests, so it's not like the server side is saying "always ask".
As an example, https://c.1password.com/richicons/images/login/120/192.168.0.88.png was one requested resource. I'm pretty sure that 1Password is never going to have a useful rich icon for an IP-based login in my LAN :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.1
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:c1.1password.com

Comments

• Hey @cricalix. Thanks for asking about this! I actually don't have a terrific answer for you. The short of it is that we can definitely make some improvements around the areas of caching and not trying to request rich icons for local addresses. I've opened an issue internally for further discussion on this so we can look into making changes in the future. :smile:

ref: dev/core/core#7770

This discussion has been closed.