Can no longer use fingerprint scanner on Mac Chrome extension

Options
davidbarber
davidbarber
Community Member
edited May 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Just updated to the latest version and it seems I have lost my fingerprint login. I can use fingerprint to login into the desktop application but no longer for the chrome extension - is this going to change?

1Password Version: 7.83
Extension Version: 2.01
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidbarber 👋

You should be able to unlock 1Password for Mac with Touch ID, which should then unlock 1Password in the browser automatically. It sounds like things are going awry somewhere, though, so let's take a closer look.

Can you please check if your Chrome has any pending updates? If so, install them.

Then, restarting both 1Password and the Chrome should get things working:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Chrome by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Chrome, wait a few moments and see if 1Password unlocks automatically in Chrome. If it does then you should be good to go!
    5. In case 1Password still doesn't unlock automatically in Chrome, right click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of Chrome and select "Settings", then make sure that "Integrate with 1Password app" feature is enabled there. If it is, turn it off and back on again, see if there's any change.

Let me know what you find out!

• G0dzilla
    G0dzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem for me. I followed Kaitlyn's steps exactly, but unlocking the 1Password standalone app has no effect on my browser extension's locked state (it stayed locked).

I'm running the latest version of both the standalone app and the browser extension for Chrome.

• joconnell
    joconnell
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW I was having the symptoms @davidbarber described and @kaitlyn 's steps fixed the issue for me. "Quit 1Password Completely" was the operative step I hadn't done before that got things working now. Thanks!

MacOS Big Sur v 11.2.2
    1Password 7 Version 7.8.4 (70804004) Mac App Store
    Chrome Extension: 1Password – Password Manager - version 2.0.1

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming @joconnell .

@G0dzilla Can you please elaborate and write which versions of the desktop app and extension you have installed exactly? Also, if you restart your computer, open and unlock the desktop app first, then open the browser, does the 1Password extension in your browser unlock by itself or does it require you to input your Master Password?

• G0dzilla
    G0dzilla
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron: I have a 2020 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4. My browser is Chrome 91.0.4472.77. For the standalone app I have 1Password 7.8.4 and for the browser extension I have 2.0.1.

I have restarted my computer multiple times, including just now. The standalone app is unlocked, but I still need to enter my password to unlock the browser extension. My hope had been that I wouldn't have to enter my password in the browser extension, but that doesn't appear to be how it works.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the info @G0dzilla .

In that case we will need to investigate a bit further why the integration doesn't apply. Can you please send us the following:

Send it to support+extensions@1password.com and we'll get back to you as soon as we investigate these files.

• G0dzilla
    G0dzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I sent the files to the email address.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @G0dzilla !

• Shanta
    Shanta
    Community Member
    Options

Wondering if this has been rectified?

Tried all the steps above to no avail. Chrome is where I use this most and it's getting really annoying.

Chrome: Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    Mac: 2016 MacBook Pro

1Password 7
    Version 7.8.6 (70806001)

• Hey @Shanta. We're still investigating some edge cases here; the best thing to do, if you're open to it, is to install the beta of 1Password in the browser

https://support.1password.com/betas/#install-a-beta-release-of-1password-in-your-browser

and if the issue persists, send a diagnostics report and console log, as Yaron mentioned above, to us at support+x@1password.com so we can investigate further.

• Shanta
    Shanta
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_michaelc I am at least prompted for my fingerprint and it looks like the beta is working. I'll uninstall the previous browser extension and test further. So far so good!

• @Shanta

We're glad to hear the beta has improved your state of play. If the issue returns, a console log (as Michael suggested) would be helpful.

I do hope you'll have smooth sailing from here on out though!

This discussion has been closed.