Suggestion, improve password generation

Options

When 1Password generates a new password it seems to do so with almost no user control. Having recently moved over from Last Pass, I liked their options for generation. You could chose the length and which features you included (capital letters, numbers, special characters).

Since switching to 1Password I have had 2 instances where the auto-generated password wasn't accepted by the site. One was too long, and another used a special character that wasn't on their acceptable list.

If there could be some level of user control for generation, that would be helpful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Linnoff!

We actually have some options here that might give you what you're looking for!

By default, 1Password generates a "Smart Password". Here we do our very best to generate something that suits the site you're on. We look at any clues on the page, like certain properties added by the developers of the site, and also a set of per-site rules that are part of a large database based on Apple's "Password Manger Resources" repository: https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources

If the rules aren't working for a particular site, you can open 1Password, and hit the "+" icon. Choosing "Password Generator" in the menu that slides in and switching to "Random Password" will allow you to tweak the generation settings quite extensively. If you're more fond of some alternative settings, you can even choose "Use as default for suggestions" so we use these over our normal rules in the future.

Let me know if this helps. If it does, I think a good takeaway is that we should make it easier to discover these features!

• Linnoff
    Linnoff
    Community Member
    Options

I found that now, it does help. Making it more easy to find would help.

• lil93bit
    lil93bit
    Community Member
    Options

I love the way the options are available in the android app for the generator to be customized at the time needed. Is there a way to add that feature to the desktop (Firefox, Chrome, etc) extensions?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lil93bit ,

The password generator exists in all of our apps and extensions.
    In the apps, it will show up inside the password field when you edit an item (usually in the shape of a grey gear icon), and in the extension you'll get need to click the PLUS icon and select "Password Generator" to reach it.

This discussion has been closed.