Cannot unlock from Chrome ext. or desktop app

Options

I have been able to log into the website my.1password.com successfully, but the desktop app and Chrome extension just shake the lock icon and the circle turns red and it re-prompts for master password. I cannot unlock it! I was able to change my master password successfully, but it still does not work. Please help.

1Password Version: 7.7.805
Extension Version: 2.0.1
OS Version: Win 10 Pro ver. 2004
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• lil93bit
    lil93bit
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same problem with the Firefox extension. Because I can log into the website, I know for certain the password is correct. Very frustrating!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,
    The latest update to the 1Password extension allows it to connect to your 1Password desktop app that is installed on the computer.

If you haven't used your desktop app in a long time, it may use an older/outdated Master Password or Secret Key, which is why you are now unable to unlock both the desktop app and the extension with your current Master Password.

A quick workaround is to disable the integration between the extension and the desktop app:

1. Right click the 1Password extension icon in the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings".
    2. Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there.
    3. Test and see if you are now able to unlock 1Password properly.
  • cbieseme
    cbieseme
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, ag_yaron. This worked. So, should this setting remain in the Off position?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you don't use the 1Password desktop app at all, then yes you'd like to keep that setting off. In addition, you might want to consider uninstalling the desktop app from your computer to prevent this issue from occurring again.

However, if you'd like to enjoy the integration feature (which will allow you to unlock 1Password with Windows Hello and more), then you'll need to reset the desktop app:

1. Log into your account at https://my.1password.com and make sure that all of your data and passwords are safely stored and backed up there.
    2. Reset the 1Password desktop app on your computer: https://support.1password.com/cs/starting-over/
    3. Re-add your 1Password.com account to the desktop app and it will be good to go.
    4. Turn the integration feature back on in the extension's settings.
This discussion has been closed.