How to setup 2FA / OTP for USAA.com and NavyFed.org?

Options
BenPass
BenPass
Community Member

I've enabled 2FA (2 Factor Authorization) and OTP (One Time Passwords) for some other sites like Dropbox. Want to do for these two sites, and can't figure out how. Seems like others on the forum are using it on those sites, so asking how it's done.

Specifically, I can't find in USAA's security setup how to generate QR code for 1Password to scan.

Same problem with NavyFed.org

Hoping others having success with this will share.
Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.8.5 (70805001)
Extension Version: 2.02
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:USAA one time passwords

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@BenPass,

In looking at the usaa page it looks like CyberCode Token is the closest thing, but its not clear from the page whether that is limited to that Symmantec app or not. I can't tell if what they're using is proprietary to Symantec or if its just their wording for a standard otpauth:// url.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Let me see if I can help, here are the choices that I know are available,

1. CyberCode Text, basically a text message.
    2. CyberCode token, Symantec VIP

The Symantec app is the only one they use.

If you also have the USAA mobile app on a tablet or phone, you can get the CyberCode token from that application. (The USAA mobile app uses the Symantec system for generating the code.)

This is what they have used for at least 10-15 years.

• BenPass
    BenPass
    Community Member
    Options

If I start to follow the steps to set up their CyberCode Token it takes me to this page:

And then NEXT to this page

So to me it looks proprietary and requiring codes from the app just to set it up. But you might have more insight.

Could this be orchestrated in some way with 1Password?

Thanks

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi BenPass. You are doing great. That is exactly how it should work.

To my knowledge I do not think that 1Password could assist, but I could be wrong.

This Symantec app can be used on other sites as well that let you use an authenticator app.

The Symantec site can tell you the list of many other sites that their app will work on.

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

Believe it or not, this can work in 1Password. If you use the free Python VIP access (takes a bit to install and run correctly through the terminal on Max, you do really need to be a very sophisticated user to do this), you can then generate a QR code compatible with VIP access. Scan that code in 1Password, it works fine at USAA.com.

Be aware the python VIP access codes expire in 3 years, you should remove and replace it with a new code by then. Or maybe USAA will finally move to something more standard.

This trick also works with fidelity.com, since they use VIP access.

Again, getting python VIP access to work was not easy. Even with the instructions on GitHub.

This discussion has been closed.