Bug: 1password suggests the items that you ask it to not suggest!

Options

This is a reproducible bug. Edit any of your identities, or credit cards to not show in suggestions and save the changes. And guess what, 1password will go ahead to suggest you those items. Bam!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @iCloud 👋

Thanks for the heads up! You're absolutely right, and I'm able to reproduce. That was a setting relating to the Classic extension, but we recently moved to a new browsing experience. Could you help me understand why you'd want an item to be displayed in the 1Password app but not in the browser? I've been contemplating the use of that setting to begin with, so it'd be helpful to learn your use case. Either way, I filed an issue for our development team so we can take a closer look and determine the best way to move forward.

ref: dev/core/core#7886

• iCloud
    iCloud
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @kaitlyn ! I agree with you in there is no need for that setting. If a website matches the current website then it should show, else nothing shows! That's the logical way and it does not need you to define what to suggest what to not. Ofcourse if I have not archived any entry then I want to use it. I guess there might be two possible reasons behind this whoever developed this feature.

1. Less probable reason: Since the 1password interface is visible to people around you, one might think of a scenario where I know I have two accounts in amazon, but the other one I use only when I need to buy something to surprise my wife in her birthday for example, and I don't want my wife sitting with me often to notice I have an extra login for amazon. (I know my example is silly, just trying to defend the developer here)
    2. More probable reason: The developer would have wanted to make it easier to fill in that particular credit card info in a website where you buy stuff often from, or a particular note that is useful to remind you something when you visit particular website may be. So in the drop down interface, it already shows you that credit card, or note so you could copy.

Those are fair usage cases. But my gripe here is, I want the drop down interface to not have any extra information. I don't want it to show how many credit cards I have, or how many identities I have. Let it be saved in the app, for whenever i specifically need them, but I just dont want those information to pop up in that drop down whenever i click on it no matter which website I am in. So what bothers me is, imagine I don't have any stored information for a website. Since there is no way to know if there is any info saved for that website just by looking at that icon, I have to click that icon, and as soon as I click that I am splattered with information that I have no use for in that random website. I am being shown how many credit cards I have, how many identities I have. I don't need to see that. I know that I have saved those. I need things which are useful, else I would like the interface to be as minimalistic without any useless information hanging out there. Hope my usecase scenario makes sense.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iCloud – You make a very good point about the new archive feature. I think 1Password has just evolved in so many ways that the "Suggest in browser" feature has become somewhat irrelevant.

I believe your last point is in relation to the feature request you mentioned regarding showing a number of items you have available to fill on the current page. My vision of that is to only include Login items. It would get too cluttered to include both Identities and Credit Cards as well; I'm with you there.

• iCloud
    iCloud
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn Thank you. Yes, I greatly feel that showing the number of saved login items at the icon would be a really useful feature. That's a good point you raise. I agree with you completely that the number needs to be only login items, having other items takes away the importance of that number being specific. Imagine in some sites I have 1 login and two notes, and in another I have three logins. Now the notification will show 3 in both the sites so that is not very informative. Please advice the developers to keep the superscript number to only number of login items for that website. Here my other suggestion kind of gets significant, that in websites using common backend login system, even if the login url changes once you attempt to login, just having the information in youtube that I have this many login IDs for this website is informative.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional feedback and input here @iCloud !
    It is much appreciated :+1:

This discussion has been closed.