Touch ID in Chrome with browser extension v2.02

davidelawrence
davidelawrence
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The release notes state:

Our #1 requested feature has been Touch ID & Windows Hello support. Now, if 1Password is locked and you have the desktop app installed, you can use biometric authentication to unlock faster than ever!

I can't get this to work. I have the desktop app installed from the Mac App Store (v 7.8.5) and it's running and unlocked. When I try to use the Chrome browser extension, it asks for my password, and does not provide me with any option to use Touch ID.

How can I get this to work?

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 2.02
OS Version: OS X 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @davidelawrence

Have you opened the extension and enabled the option for Integrate with the Desktop app, inside of browser extension settings?

• davidelawrence
    davidelawrence
    Community Member

Yes - it is selected, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I never seem to get the Touch ID option. Any other suggestions?

• reub
    reub
    Community Member

I'm experiencing issues as well. It had been working for me and now does not prompt for a fingerprint as it had been. The "Integrate with 1Password app" setting is enabled. Happy to check others if it would help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@davidelawrence, @reub:

Please send us some logs and we will be happy to take a look for you :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• davidelawrence
    davidelawrence
    Community Member

I just sent an email and received an automated response, but did not receive a ticket number with it. If I do receive one later, I'll certainly post it in a comment.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @davidelawrence !
    Our team will get back to you as soon as possible.

• guidobouman
    guidobouman
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Integration is enabled

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021

@guidobouman

Can you try the following and let me know if it improves your state of play?

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, toggle "Integrate with 1Password app" off and on again.

We'll then want to make sure we fully quit and relaunch both 1Password and your browser:

1. Quit 1Password completely by clicking the 1Password menu beside the  logo and choosing Quit 1Password Completely
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test again to see if the issue is resolved.

If you're still having troubles, would you be able to also send us some logs to investigate?

• guidobouman
    guidobouman
    Community Member

A full restart was needed: Quit browser, quit 1PW app, logout, log back in, 1PW auto start, browser start, fixed.

Now it's working again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're glad to hear it's working again @guidobouman ! :+1:

• norrisjeremy
    norrisjeremy
    Community Member

Unbelievable: 9 months later after this thread was posted and you guys still haven't fixed the browser extensions to corrrectly use Touch ID. What's it going to motivate you to restore this functionality?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @norrisjeremy, the browser extension can be unlocked with Touch ID. However, you'd have to use it in conjunction with the 1Password app. If you're having trouble with Touch ID, can you try the steps in the comment here? Let us know how that goes.

• NYcookie
    NYcookie
    Community Member

I think I figured this out. Under the 1password settings in the Chrome extension delete the shortcuts that open 1Password. Then instead of prompting you to Shift -Apple - X it asks for your fingerprint again.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@NYcookie Hmm, those shortcuts are not related to Touch ID. However, it sounds like the extension in your browser was having a hard time communicating with the 1Password app (and therefore Touch ID could not be used to unlock the extension). Somehow you were able to re-establish that connection, and things are now working again. I'm really happy to hear that. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us back. Have a good day!

• OwilliwO
    OwilliwO
    Community Member

Well, I've been able to use that until yesterday, but since I've updated the 1password app (throught App Store), it's not working anymore.
    I mean, I can use TouchID when opening the local app, but not anymore in Chrome or Firefox extension, despite Integrate with 1password app is selected in both browser settings...

• Hi @OwilliwO,

Would you please try the following steps and let me know if this resolves the issue for you?

1. Quit the browser by two-finger clicking (control + click) its icon in the Dock area and selecting Quit.

2. Quit the 1Password desktop app completely by two-finger clicking the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and selecting Quit 1Password Completely.

• Or, open 1Password and click inside the app to have it focused. Then, click 1Password 7 on the top-left corner beside  and choose Quit 1Password Completely.
    3. Open and unlock the 1Password desktop app by manually inputting the account password, don't use the biometric method here.

4. Open your browser and wait a few seconds to let the extension load. Then, click on the 1Password in the browser's icon in the toolbar to see if it is working correctly.

Usually, the steps above will resolve most of the issues related to the updates, whether it is from 1Password, the browser or macOS.

Let us know how it goes.

• OwilliwO
    OwilliwO
    Community Member

Hi @kevin.li

Seems OK now !
    I've done exactly what you said :

1. quit Chrome, Firefox and 1Password 7 desktop app
    2. reopen 1Password 7 app and authenticate with the main password, not Touch ID
    3. reopen browsers and wait for 1Password extension to load correctly

In both browsers, I'm now able to manually lock 1Password extension and unlock it using Touch ID.
    So I suppose it'll be OK when 1Password extension will automatically lock after X minutes..

Thanks, it was quit annoying as my main password is a long one..

• Thanks for letting me know the good news @OwilliwO .

We always want to restart the 1Password desktop app and the browser after an update. **More importantly, we always want 1Password to start before the browser. This way, we can ensure the proper connection between the desktop app and 1Password in the browser. **

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• OwilliwO
    OwilliwO
    Community Member

I've thought about that and tried to quit everything. But when reopening 1Password 7 desktop app, I was using Touch ID instead of main password authentication.
    That's the only difference I see comparing to the process you've just suggested.
    Thanks for your quick answer !

I've been using 1password for 2 years now, very happy with it.

• Hey @OwilliwO:

I'm glad to hear Kevin's advice worked for you. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.