1Password creates a lot of unwanted directories in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

Options
ftpd
ftpd
Community Member

I'm using 1Password version 8.0.34 on Void Linux, so from tarball. It basically works as expected, but there is this one thing that's driving me crazy: every time I launch 1Password, it creates the following directories in my ~/.config (the value of $XDG_CONFIG_HOME):
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 BraveSoftware
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 google-chrome
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 google-chrome-beta
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 google-chrome-unstable
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 microsoft-edge-dev
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 vivaldi
drwx------ - f 7 Jun 12:17 vivaldi-snapshot

I'm not using any of these browsers and I'm very concerned about keeping my dotfiles clean (OCD-like thing), so the pure existence of it, although not harmfull in anyway, hurts my brain ;-)
Any idea, how can I get rid of it?

Bonus question: what about AppImage? Before the official release there was an AppImage for 1Password on the official website and I liked it more. Current options are: snaps, rpms and debs (all of them unacceptable for me - I won't use distribution shipped with systemd via default) and this tarball, which works, but has some flaws (for example post install script has /opt/1Password hardcoded, which is kinda not ok). Any chance to get AppImage back?

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: none
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• ftpd
    ftpd
    Community Member
    Options

Any idea, how can I get rid of it?

I mean: how to avoid creating them in the future. Please don't tell me I can simply delete them, because I do and they're coming back ;-)

• ragectl
    ragectl
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

I came here to express the same complaint.

I also keep track of my ~./config folder as a git repo, and I avoid adding unnecessary files to that structure.

1Password logs show it creating directories for a Chromium, Google Chrome/Chrome Beta/Chrome Unstable, Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi/Vivaldi Snapshot, and Brave. All web browsers I don't have installed. What is the point of that?

Please update the Linux client to better detect which browsers are installed, before shotgunning configuration files over the disk.

• roustem
    Options

I think the problem that without these directories the browser integration will be broken. The alternative could be for 1Password to scan the system and check which browsers are installed — it is also does not seem to be optimal for the system performance/battery life.

We should certainly make sure these directories are not being created when the browser integration is disabled.

This discussion has been closed.