To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password question

Options
jeffdrake
jeffdrake
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Memberships

How complicated does the master password have to be?

I ask, because if I'm using my PC all day (with no biometric capability), I may have to enter the master password many times, which is kind of a pain. Can I safely use a shorter, faster-to-enter master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffdrake!

We have some suggestions about this in this documentation page:

How to choose a good Master Password

• jeffdrake
    jeffdrake
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

There is always a toss-up between the need for security and convenience. I do know the need for security, but at the same time I know that if one has to enter a long password each time they need to access 1password, it will be a pain and will eventually not be used.

It looks like the master password generator simply creates 4 random words, which is something I can do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffdrake:

There is always a toss-up between the need for security and convenience.

There is indeed :)

I do know the need for security, but at the same time I know that if one has to enter a long password each time they need to access 1password, it will be a pain and will eventually not be used.

Depending on the platform you are using, you could also enable unlock via Touch ID or Face ID to make subsequent logins quicker ;)

It looks like the master password generator simply creates 4 random words, which is something I can do.

That's correct, but you can also change the options the way you prefer: the separator used and the number of words, in case you want a longer or shorter Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.