Stop auto Software Update checking timemachine backup for copies of 1Password

Options
tonycookdesigner
tonycookdesigner
Community Member

Everytime 1Password automatically checks for updates it tell me that a backup of the app on time machine needs updating - is there any way to exclude the TM disc from these checks?

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tonycookdesigner

There is not. The reason for these checks is that macOS can accidentally update the wrong copy of the app, causing all sorts of difficulties if it happens. As such we recommend not backing up the 1Password app, and excluding it from your backups:

Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support

Your data is stored separately from the app and would still be backed up. If you'd like to back up the app, we'd recommend downloading the installer, and backing that up.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben could you explain a bit more about that - how would MacOS update the wrong copy? The wrong copy being where? Thanks

• tonycookdesigner
    tonycookdesigner
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, that’s a shame - no other of my apps have difficulties automatically keeping up to date without getting confused with copies in backups. Surely the software just needs to checks the main application folder?

I’ll just turn off auto updates as I’d rather have a complete backup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@occamsrazor:

how would MacOS update the wrong copy?

I remember a discussion some time ago about this, and if I remember correctly, the problem was also that macOS could mistakenly launch the wrong copy of the app, or have 1Password mini connect to the wrong copy of the app. By excluding the 1Password app from the backup, the connection would always get activated with the correct 1Password app.

The wrong copy being where?

In this case, the wrong copy being the backup copy.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonycookdesigner:

The 1Password app is just the app and does not contain any data, so you can safely exclude it from backup and download it from our website any time you wish. Our recommendation is to keep 1Password updated regularly since it's security software, and luckily you need to exclude the app only once for backup purposes.

• tonycookdesigner
    tonycookdesigner
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana No, I'd rather have a full bootable backup rather than having 1Password up-to-date. On a couple of occasions I've had to boot from Time Machine backups whilst waiting for replacement hard drives to come. In the event of an emergency I don't want to waste time trying to download software. Every app on my system manages to autoupdate without needing to be excluded from TM so I'm not sure why 1Password is unable to do this also.

• rudy
    Options

@tonycookdesigner,

The prompt has very little to do with the actual update. It has more to do with the fact that the OS itself can't handle there being multiple copies of the helper application that lives inside of 1Password. if you have multiple copies that are different versions there's a non-zero chance that the OS will launch the wrong one.

This discussion has been closed.