On step 3 of getting started, 1Password does not ask to save info when I sign into a site

weelegs1
weelegs1
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

On step 3 of getting started, 1Password does not ask to save info when I sign into a site. I'm using Safari on a Mac Air M1. 1Password 7 is visible as Safari extension.
I'm new to Mac and to 1Password so I might be making a dumb mistake.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:On step 3 of getting started 1Password does not ask to save info when I sign into a site

Comments

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

See original note:
    1Password version: version 7
    Extension version: 7
    Sync Type: I don't know what this means. I have installed on my Mac Air only, so no sync?

• Hello @weelegs1,

Before going further, can you please try these steps to see how it works and go from there?

The new 1Password should share the lock state and integrate with the app automatically. That said, if that doesn't work for you, let us try these steps to see how it works, and we can go from there.

1. Give your computer a restart to ensure that we don't have any pending process that prevents 1Password from connecting with your browser.

2. Open the 1Password app => Select 1Password 7 in the menu bar=> Preferences => Browsers => Autosave => make sure that “Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them “ is checked.

3. Go to a website, enter the username and password, select Sign in, and let me know how it works.

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

I should probably say that I am totally new with Apple products and often don't understand what should be obvious. When I attempted to follow your instructions, I couldn't find the menu bar so couldn't get past your step 2. I suspected that I might have made mistakes in earlier steps of setting up 1password, so I deleted the app and started again. I am now at the very early stage where I am told to "Follow these steps to get started". Step 1 is "get the apps". Below this is "website 2 https://1password.com/downloads. When I click on this, nothing happens, so I entered the website in Safari. This took me to a page which was confusing, but it said I would "need google chrome to install apps ..." so I clicked on "Download Google Chrome". I then selected to download chrome with apple chip (m1). I was then instructed to "Open the googlechrome.dmg file from Safari downloads at the top right corner of this window" but I couldn't find anything at the top right corner (in their example snip there was a downloads symbol which did not appear on my screen), so I clicked on "Can't find your installer?". I got this instruction: "On your Mac press Cmd + spacebar (or open Spotlight search) and type “googlechrome.dmg”. That simply executed a google search for googlechrome.dmg. The most promising drop was a google site "Download and install Google Chrome" I opened that, and followed the steps for installing google chrome on Mac. The first step was "Download the installation file". This took me in a loop, back to back to "Download Chrome" (see above). So I went through the entire process from that point again but continued to loop.

As you can see, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing! Please advise. I appreciate your patience.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@weelegs1 – Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like you're wanting to use Safari as your browser, is that right? If so, there isn't a need to download Chrome (another browser), unless you plan on using it in the future, that is.

Let's make sure the 1Password extension is enabled in Safari. Go ahead and open Safari, then click Safari in the upper left corner of your screen (that's the menu bar). After that, select Preferences in the dropdown menu. From there, click the Extensions tab. Do you see 1Password listed there? If so, make sure the checkbox to the left is indeed checked.

Let me know how you get on!

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification on Chrome - you are correct, I intend to use Safari as my browser, and had the impression that I needed for some reason to download Chrome in the setup process.

Yes, I have entered Safari -> Preferences -> extensions and I find 1Password 7.8.5. I don't find a checkbox to the left however (including after clicking on the extension). How can I locate the checkbox

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@weelegs1:

Can you post a screenshot of what you see under Safari Preferences > Extensions tab? It should look similar to this:

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana and all,

I was looking for a check and didn't realize that the white box was the checkbox. I have checked that box. and now it shows as checked. For some reason I can't paste a screenshot or clip into this message showing the checked 1Password extension (I have been working for an hour to restore the copy/paste function without success so far), but the extension looks exactly like your screenshot (with the box checked) except that the1Password version is 7.8.5, not 7.4.1.

I entered a website again, but as before, 1Password does not ask if I want to save it.

What next?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@weelegs1:

You can upload screenshots on this forum by clicking on this icon above the text area:

I entered a website again, but as before, 1Password does not ask if I want to save it.

If you open 1Password for Mac and to go Preferences > Browsers tab, is the option Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them enabled?

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

When I select an image (screen snip) and try to enter it, it enters this:

Or this:

(This copy/paste problem is external to 1Password, and I will work on that separately.) More important: When I open 1Password for Mac and to go Preferences > Browsers tab, the option Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save is enabled - but still not working.

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

Sorry! The inset image function did work, with the image showing when I posted the comment. But the snips I sent don't show the box to be checked, but it is when I view the 1Password app!! Same thing when I repeat the screen snip. I''l try it with a full screen shot:

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

It worked that time.

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

Problem solved! 1Password is working now. It provided a password when I opened a new site. I think everything is OK now; thanks so much for your help and patience.

'bye,

William

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @weelegs1! I'm glad to hear you're back up and running with 1Password. If anything else comes up, we'll be here for you.

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

A new problem (small one this time). Somehow while exploring in 1password I changed what I see when I open 1password:

How do I get back to the original screen (showing vaults etc)?

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

I have tried closing and re-opening the 1password page, shutting down the computer, etc.

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

Forget above messages - I was able to restore the original screen.

William

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the updates @weelegs1! For future reference, how did you manage to restore the original screen?

• weelegs1
    weelegs1
    Community Member

I've been asking myself that question. I was poking around, trying different things, and after a day or two and a few more tries, it was back! Can't recall the last thing I did. It would be nice if there was a re-set (short of deleting and reinstalling 1Password). But maybe this doesn't happen often.

Thanks for asking!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I think the answer here, according to your last screenshot, is that you were using Microsoft Word, then opened 1Password and changed the filter to "Suggestions", which tried suggesting relevant logins to Microsoft Word (which there are none so there were no suggestions shown).

To get your list of logins back, simply change the filter on the top left corner of 1Password's window from "Suggestions" to "Logins".
    Suggestions are only relevant when you visit specific websites where you have a login entry saved in 1Password for that website.

This discussion has been closed.