Hacker - Phishing watching screen

Options
cherrypay
cherrypay
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Mac

Hi there,

I am very uncertain these days about changing on screen notes and passwords. Last week I was compromised.
Now I am changing my password and wat to now if a hacker can watch my screen when using or editing my passwords?

The password is hided but what if I unhide and what about the notes? I save some keys as notes so maybe it's not save at all?
htt ps: // cln.sh/9Yal49

1Password Version: 7.8.5
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Bif sur 11.4
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cherrypay!

I just wanted to let you know that I have sent your questions directly to our security team. We will post back here as soon as we have an update :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cherrypay - you didn't give us much detail about how you were compromised last week (which is fine! You certainly aren't required to), but 1Password is designed to keep you safe under most circumstances. Your 1Password data on your Mac is encrypted by your Master Password, so presuming you chose a good one, your data should be relatively safe.

I say "relatively safe," since no single product can keep you safe under any and all conditions. That's why it's always best to utilize good security practices consistently as well. For example, one of the things that we recommend is never entering your Master Password or revealing hidden passwords for your Login items within 1Password when you are in an insecure public location. Cameras (both surveillance and simply individual smartphone cameras) are everywhere these days, and it's all-too-easy for one of them to capture your details if you use 1Password on, say, a crowded subway train or a stadium or similar.

Likewise, if a remote attacker has been able to successfully place malware on your device, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that it could include anything from the ability to capture your screen (video or static images) to a keylogger which records your keystrokes. 1Password has always provided what protections we can for the major classes of threat, but if someone can execute code on your computer running as you or as root, there is little they cannot do. So, if you suspect your computer has been compromised by malware, I would recommend not using it at all until you can get it to a competent local professional who can assist you in diagnosing and removing any malware. I would particularly suggest not using 1Password until you're comfortable that any malware has been removed.

• cherrypay
    cherrypay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much! I will get an expert on board.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cherrypay - you're quite welcome, and feel free to loop us in or ask any questions during the process, if you conclude you need to. If they're of a sensitive nature, you can always direct your questions to us via email at support@1password.com. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.