Why does 1password break itself every update?

Options
wrxcub
wrxcub
Community Member

Every single time 1password updates it puts it's icon back in the menu bar and refuses to work until I restart my computer. It's always done this as long as I can remember across multiple computers. Is there a way to get it to just update? It's getting obnoxious to have to keep re-deleting the icon and then shutting everything down just for 1password.

It's to the point where I make my coffee, sit down, and see that blue 1password back next to Safari's URL bar (you again!?!) and I flip out. I don't know of any other software that does this? Is there a good reason it can't remember preferences or keep working across its own updates?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• wfolta
    wfolta
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it breaks pretty much every update, and I've added my voice on another thread about this that has nothing to do with 1Password updates, but rather happens randomly. This morning I got on and 1Password says it can't verify Safari and therefore won't work. So it removed its icon and now I wave around a rubber chicken until eventually something I do causes it to work again.

• wfolta
    wfolta
    Community Member
    Options

I fixed it without rebooting. (Rebooting is very painful since it involves a dozen programs relaunching and Apple manages to not get all of them into the proper desktop.)

First I went into Safari's Preferences and disabled 1Password. Then I quit Safari and relaunched, then I enabled 1Password and quit Safari and relaunched again.

This may or may not have helped and it still wasn't working. But I then quit out of 1Password entirely -- an option from the 1Password icon in the menubar and relaunched 1Password, and it worked.

So if you, like me have the 1Password icon in the menubar, try quitting from that and then relaunching.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wrxcub!

Is there a good reason it can't remember preferences or keep working across its own updates?

I was told that this is for security reasons: 1Password connects to Safari securely, so after an update (of Safari or 1Password), 1Password needs to make sure it is still connecting securely. But since something changed during the update, it might be required to re-establish this secure connection.

Rebooting should not be required however, quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) should be enough.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wfolta:

Thank you for sharing what worked for you! Indeed, quitting 1Password completely is what I recommend to avoid rebooting the system ;)

This discussion has been closed.