Windows 1PW 8 Beta is Hiding

Options

I failed to pin 1PW to the taskbar upon first usage yesterday. This morning it took me a while to find it so I could launch 1PW.

Not available via the Mini app like on the Mac.

Not in the list of apps via the Start menu.

This is what the search turned up (see screencap). It took me a bit to "spot" the Folders (8+) and drill down via that route. I then recalled this AppData folder as home for another app I use. And FINALLY there was the 1PW icon.

Please forgive me as I am primarily a Mac user, so am not as proficient in the Windows game.

So is this user error or something missing with this release??

1Password Version: 8.10-45
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @VirgilBoy, thanks so much for your message. I'm sorry you ran into some troubles with 1Password for Windows 8 Early Access and finding it on your Windows PC. I'm glad to here you were able to find the 1Password.exe file through the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder.

Not available via the Mini app like on the Mac.

Not in the list of apps via the Start menu.

I have not been able to reproduce the issue you were having and do currently see 1Password in both my start menu and in the Windows system notification tray.

Can you try opening the Windows run command Windows Key + R and type in 1Password.exe setup and press enter, followed by a reboot of your device to see if this helps? Thanks!

ref: FUE-69231-785

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike - did that command and a restart. Still nothing in the Start menu. Just to make sure we are on the same page....it should show at the beginning of the list?? The System Tray did not show 1PW until I started it. So is that expected? Remember I am much more versed in the Mac way!

• Hi @VirgilBoy, thanks for your reply here. Our team is happy to help you with this! 👍

I see where you wrote to us by email about this as well. Let's continue our conversation over there, so we don't miss anything or talk past each other. We're looking forward to resolving this for you!

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Sure...that is fine. I eventually did find where the app is, since it wasn't in the Start menu, etc

• Blake
    edited June 2021
    Options

While I'm glad to hear that you did eventually find out where 1Password is installed, but the fact that it wasn't added to the Start Menu isn't actually something we directly control.

Windows dictates whether items are added to the Start Menu or not. If you're seeing new pieces of (third-party, installed from outside of the Microsoft Store) software not being added to the Windows Start Menu regularly, it might be best to reach out to Microsoft Support to see if they have anything they might be able to share there.

PS: Looks like you're not the only one who has run into this, found some interesting stuff doing some quick research.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

I have quite a few non-MS items showing in the Start Menu. 1PW is the first one I have run into with this issue. Will check out the article

Just went through the article and Background apps is already on

• hello again, @VirgilBoy! Thanks for getting back to us. As noted by @PeterG_1P we'll move this conversation to and continue via email. We'll be in touch soon. Thanks!

ref: FUE-69231-785

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

1Password now shows in the Start Menu, after updating to 8.1.0-60

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update and for sharing this with the community @VirgilBoy! I am glad to hear that updating to version 8.1.0-60 solved this for you :)

This discussion has been closed.