1password 7 vault vs. iCloud account

The Stig
The Stig
Community Member

Hi,

in my Mac app I. see two of every password because most of them are both vaults. One on 1password account cloud and one on the Apple iCloud. On my iPhone, I only see one. When I create a new password on my iPhone, it only gets updated in the 1password vault and not the the iCloud one. How do I merge both Without losing any data and which is the right vault?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• The Stig
    The Stig
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @The Stig!

To avoid duplicates when you use 1Password.com, we recommend removing the old Primary vault from your devices. It sounds like you did this, but only on your iPhone. Are there items in your Primary vault that you still need to move to your Personal vault, or does your Personal vault already contain all the passwords you need?

• The Stig
    The Stig
    Community Member

there is indeed a difference in the number of passwords contained in the two vaults. I would have to start looking at comparing password creation dates to keep the right ones. The odd thing is that I don't see the iCloud password file anywhere in my apple file structure ?

• @The Stig

CloudKit would be used for syncing. Those files are not user accessible by design from Apple.

• The Stig
    The Stig
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

here is a silly question maybe, but what is the value of having the iCloud service if the personal vault is syncing fine with my phone? can I just remove the iCloud account on my Mac since all the most recent passwords created are on the other account (the 1password)? Is there a way I can see compare both database to ensure I have the recent passwords in the right database?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@The Stig:

but what is the value of having the iCloud service if the personal vault is syncing fine with my phone?

Indeed, our recommendation is to stop using iCloud altogether when you start using 1Password.com to sync your data, since there is no need for both things anymore :)

can I just remove the iCloud account on my Mac since all the most recent passwords created are on the other account (the 1password)?

Yes, you can remove the Primary vault anytime:

1. From the menu bar, choose Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary.
    2. Choose Vault > Delete Vault.

Is there a way I can see compare both database to ensure I have the recent passwords in the right database?

Do you currently have different number of items in your iCloud vault and in your 1Password.com vault? While there is no direct way to compare two vaults, sorting the contents by Date Modified could be helpful.

This discussion has been closed.