New User - 1Password has many logins that are unknown to me

Timpboy1
Timpboy1
Community Member

Just downloaded 1Password and had it import all my current logins from Firefox. It is showing 640 logins, including many that are not mine and are not listed in my Firefox saved logins. I have no idea what they are, but I certainly would never make my user name "password" or use the name of the website as my password (just two examples). Out of curiosity I tried to log in using a few of these signins, but they don't work (no surprise there). For example, 1Password found four logins, none of which are the actual one I use for that site, although it did list my username as my password for one of these. On another, it had my username under "website". I'd like whatever help I can get to get started with this app. Right now I'm just very confused. Thanks. By the way, I've tried to use more than one computer, both older MacBook Pros (haven't tried the phone yet).

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.6 (70806001) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: 2.02
OS Version: ios 10.14.6
Sync Type: firefox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Timpboy1!

It sounds like something went wrong during the import from Firefox. Did you perhaps run the import multiple times?

• Timpboy1
    Timpboy1
    Community Member

I didn't run it multiple times, but I agree that clearly something went wrong with the import somehow. There are several times the number sign-ins that I have saved in Firefox, but only some are multiples allegedly from the same site. Even when they are from the same site, the login and password are not identical. But there are many that I didn't recognize all. Some appear like they might be an underlying service a company uses - for example there was one that appeared to have been related to my bank but I'd never heard of it and the login info was incorrect (my password used as my username, etc). I see that the source was a CSV import, which doesn't really tell me much. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth hand repairing every login or if I should erase the whole thing and start again. We'll see. Thanks for replying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Timpboy1:

I would personally try exporting again, and seeing how the CSV file looks like this second time. Do you keep seeing multiple items coming out of Firefox for each login?

• Timpboy1
    Timpboy1
    Community Member

So, I should just delete the first import somehow and try again? I may just try to fix each login manually since I already started to do that. Maybe I'll give importing another shot.

It's not consistently multiple items for each login, but regardless of whether there are multiples or not, they are pretty much all corrupt in one way or another:

There are all these "fields" that make no sense. Under "website" it's not in a URL form - just my username or my first name. In "other fields" there are long strings that I do not recognize, nor do I know what Fields 6-9 are supposed to be anyway. I also don't see 9 total fields, but I don't know what #1-5 are anyway. Is there are tutorial that explains what all of these fields are supposed to mean?

With the sites I've "fixed", I just deleted all the information and manually entered the URL, username and password. That seems to work. I also seem to have figured out how to get 1Password to generate a new password for to correct ones that I know were part of a breach, which was a mean reason I wanted to use a Password Manager (in order to have more difficult to crack passwords without having to memorize them all).

There is just so much I don't understand: what are the icons with things like a tan HT" or a blue "yahoo" or what looks like a keyhole supposed to mean? Basically, is there a some really good online documentation/user manual explaining what I'm looking at and the process I'm supposed to follow to organize my logins?

I have too many questions and would love to find documentation so I don't have to bother you with each one. But I'll ask a couple more:

What does it mean to "archive" one of these login "cards" (I'm not sure what term you use for them)? If I find a login that I don't recognize at all but looks at least somewhat legitimate, should I archive it or just delete the entry? These are logins 1Password "found" somewhere, but they don't show up in my Firefox (or Chrome or Safari)Saved Logins.

I'm willing to manually clean up each login on 1Password, but my next next question is will 1Password update my saved logins in Firefox when I make changes? If I use 1Password to make a change, will that show up in Firefox (on my MacBook Pros and/or Safari on my IPhone) or will the only accurate database of all my valid logins be on 1Password? Finally, assuming that the only accurate database of logins is in 1Password, is there a way I can print out or save the entire list in case I some day want to switch password managers?

I hope all this make sense. I realize it's long post with a lot of questions. Thanks for your patience.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

@Timpboy1 If you want to delete the existing login items and import again, then its worth spending some time cleaning up the CSV, for example using Excel, before importing to 1Password. You'll be able to see all the fields and any corruption. However, as you've already started, you might just want to continue what you're doing.
    Once you've completed the export from Firefox and installed the 1Password in the browser extension you should make sure 1Password is set as your password manager and then delete all your login items from Firefox. Open a new tab and go to the following page:
    about:preferences#privacy
    About a third of the way down there's a section labelled Logins and Passwords. This should show that the 1Password extension is managing your passwords. You can also delete the Firefox data there.
    If you install 1Password on all your devices and the extensions in all your browsers then 1Password will ensure they all stay in sync. Just be sure to disable the browser's own password manager to avoid getting confused.
    The key hole icons are just temporary icons because 1Password doesn't have a specific icon for that website. The login "cards" are called login items. There are other types of items, but the ones you got from your browser should all be logins.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Timpboy1:

What does it mean to "archive" one of these login "cards" (I'm not sure what term you use for them)? If I find a login that I don't recognize at all but looks at least somewhat legitimate, should I archive it or just delete the entry?

The Archive feature is for those items you don't necessarily need anymore, but you want to still keep around for reference (a good example is expired credit cards).

I'm willing to manually clean up each login on 1Password, but my next next question is will 1Password update my saved logins in Firefox when I make changes? If I use 1Password to make a change, will that show up in Firefox (on my MacBook Pros and/or Safari on my IPhone) or will the only accurate database of all my valid logins be on 1Password?

The 1Password database is separate, so any changes you make there will not sync to Firefox. We actually recommend turning off the browser's password manager after you start using 1Password, so you don't end up with multiple copies of your data which are out of sync:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Finally, assuming that the only accurate database of logins is in 1Password, is there a way I can print out or save the entire list in case I some day want to switch password managers?

You can indeed print all data, but if you plan on moving to another password manager, you might find it more useful to export the data instead:

How to export data from 1Password

• Timpboy1
    Timpboy1
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, ag_ana and rootzero. I'm also glad to see the "Get started" support page, which I somehow missed. Hopefully I'll be able to figure a lot on my own now, but I'll work through all this and hopefully get everything properly arranged.

This discussion has been closed.