General Safari rendering problems

tewha
tewha
Community Member
edited June 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've noticed for several years* that Safari semi-frequently misrenders pages, but it seems to only happen when 1Password is installed and activated. I removed 1Password from Safari for months to discourage me from using Safari, but the problems recurred as soon as I enabled 1Password again.

There's two big problems:
1. Green staircase diagonal lines through images.
2. Font or backgrounds misrendering on complex pages (and getting worse as I hover/scroll).

Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to help report it to Apple (because it's Safari's fault, one way or the other, if a plugin is causing it to not render pages correctly)?

*-To be fair, it was a lot better under Catalina. It only got really bad with Big Sur.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tewha!

Can you please give us some URLs where you are seeing this? I can't say I have ever seen this before, but I can certainly test it :+1:

• tewha
    tewha
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Sure. The big one for the complete text breakdown is Macrumors.

Interestingly, when I first mentioned this one online someone immediately asked me if I was using "a password manager." At the time, I didn't realize this only occurred with 1Password (though I should note I haven't tried any other password managers).

The green staircase happens much more often; this example is from Twitter, but I also see it on Macrumors and a handful of other sites. (I'll come back and post them as I recall them.)

I can't imagine you guys hook in at a level where this should be happening, so I imagine this is something like a race condition triggered by 1Password's presence, but you guys probably have more hope of reporting that coherently than I do.

• tewha
    tewha
    Community Member

Please disregard! I swear it's only happened with Safari + 1Password before, but it finally happened without today. Maybe 1Password makes it more frequent, but you're definitely innocent of being a "cause" here. :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update @tewha .

It's great that you are able to capture this issue in a screenshot or a video recording - it indicates the issue is a software one and not a hardware one (if it was a hardware issue the graphical glitch would not show in a screenshot/vide).

So to troubleshoot it, aside from digging online for answers, I'd contact Apple's support or simply reinstall a clean copy of Mac OS without restoring the system's settings.

This discussion has been closed.