Is it odd for a password management company to be openly political?

kkrauth
kkrauth
Community Member

I'm subscribed to the 1Password blog primarily to find out about new features and thought leadership on cybersecurity. Recently, there have been many politically oriented blog posts that seem to have share little with password management or security. Politics are everywhere today and most people have a carefully curated list of sources from which they actually want to consume political news. I'm curious why 1Password feels the need to post about these topics.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

I have not been party to the political statements that the company has made, and so I am speaking just as a long time employee of 1Password.

First of all, 1Password, is a privately held company. The owners/founders have a great deal of discretion to shape and represent the company as they see fit, though I am going to use the term "we" because I do personally identify closely with what the company does. Over the years, we have publicly supported journalism and journalists, open-source communities, non-profit organizations. And there are things that we have done outside of public view. The recent blog post actually discussed some things that we did last year, but which we only sought to discuss publicly as Juneteenth was becoming a national holiday in the US.

We have openly celebrated Thanksgiving (Canadian and American), the Fourth of July, Ontario's Family Day, and other holidays official or otherwise. Many of these holidays are political in their roots and essence. Openly celebrating one of the greatest advances for freedom in American history is not really a departure from what I would think people have come to expect of us.

I, an American, lived briefly behind the Iron Curtain. It was eye opening to me to see how America, despite its imperfections, was looked upon as a beacon of freedom and human rights for oppressed people. An American holiday which both celebrates an advance of freedom and forces us to look at our imperfections, past and present, is why America may continue to have such a role well into its third century of existence. I am delighted that my bosses in Canada are supporting this.

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member

Hear hear!! Let freedom ring, @jpgoldberg !! Love it! Well said, sir! (Or madam, or they)

• kkrauth
    kkrauth
    Community Member

A bit presumptuous to believe that the whole world is interested in political and historical failings of United States. I'd rather discuss why, after many years, the browser extension strategy of 1Password is still fragmented and that every month the integration between the desktop app and the browser extension becomes less stable.

• @kkrauth

I'd rather discuss why, after many years, the browser extension strategy of 1Password is still fragmented and that every month the integration between the desktop app and the browser extension becomes less stable.

You're welcome to start a thread on that topic if you haven't already. :+1:

Ben

• kcastill
    kcastill
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

A bit presumptuous to believe that the whole world is interested in political and historical failings of United States. I'd rather discuss why, after many years, the browser extension strategy of 1Password is still fragmented and that every month the integration between the desktop app and the browser extension becomes less stable.

@kkrauth Even more presumptuous to believe these things are mutually exclusive. Companies are made up of people, and those people are not one-dimensional.

This discussion has been closed.