Reduce UI jank in Version 8

Startup in version 8 has noticeable jank that version 7 didnt have. Heres a video showing it with statup slowed down, this is more pervasive with bigger vaults:

1Password Version: 8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 latest
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I noticed it too. Hopefully the performance will be a lot better in future version of 1PW 8. :+1:

• Thank you for taking a video and sharing it with us. I get my fur up seeing things resize after their initial render (like the fonts here) and the grey/black/white boxes are not enjoyable in the slightest.

I expect we'll be able to do better here but for what it's worth, for my multiple accounts and thousands of items the only perceivable jank is the font resizing and an initial dark box when the window first opens. I'm sure if I slow down the frame rate like you did here or if my machine was busy processing other things I would probably see more. Still, we should be able to polish things more here.

Thanks again for sharing.

++dave;

• sguergachi
    sguergachi
    Community Member

Seems this has been improved in the latest update! Well done!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I apologize for the silly question by a non native English speaker, but what is "jank"? It seems a slang expression not known by any translator or dictionary.

• Thanks for reporting back, @sguergachi! 🤗 I had meant to post an update here that we were working on smoothing things out and was looking forward to hearing what you thought of the changes. I'm glad to hear we're on the right path here. Please continue to point these out as they're often heavily influenced by the data in your vaults and speed of your machine so they're not always obvious.

As for the meaning of "jank", it's slang for sluggishness and shifting of elements when the screen renders. Mozilla defines jank as:

Jank refers to sluggishness in a user interface, usually caused by executing long tasks on the main thread, blocking rendering, or expending too much processor power on background processes.

I was hoping to find a more elaborate definition as to me the most upsetting part of "janky UIs" is when elements jump around on the page while it's loading. It's very distracting and can be see in @sguergachi's video at the top of this thread. In the video you can see the text change when the font finishes loading, the New Item button resize, and backgrounds changing colours.

I hope that helps! Thanks for asking. 🙏🏻

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.