Password management improvements

Options
Piggy
Piggy
Community Member

Please consider the following improvements to better support end-user password management. Use cases: Periodic or required password change due to breach.

1. The current password options are too basic: type, character slider, symbol, number options. Please provide an advanced option for power users: type is ok, I prefer a 2 digit numeric field instead of slider; symbol, number, all upper/all lower/mixed case options. Additionally it should be possible to specify the desired number of symbols and numbers in addition to the total length. Why? Because some websites have password requirements that require cycling through multiple iterations in 1P until the right combination appears. Also some websites don't like passwords that begin with a symbol (or number). Provide an option to never begin a password with a symbol or number.

2. Often times the website complains when copied and pasted into the password change input field. Sometimes they provide an error message that lists acceptable passwords - often just listing the acceptable symbols. (Sometimes this is also displayed prior to entering the password.) I'd like to be able to copy and paste this text string into a field that 1Password would use to filter the password results it generates, so that it does not provide a password with characters the website's password change input is not going to accept.

3. Add an option to copy the generated password to the clipboard. This should not be automatic because many websites require entry of the current password and the new password. So I would want to click a button to copy the password when it's acceptable to me. ALSO need to provide a way to copy the original password to the clipboard because sometimes when you use an unacceptable password, you're required to again enter the current password for validation but wait - the original password is no longer being shown so you have to cancel/not save the 1P record and repeat the process. This is very inefficient. You could display the currently saved PW and newly generated password fields one above the other, with a "click to copy to password" button alongside of each.

4. Last but not least, I thought you used to track all previously used passwords. Am I mistaken about this? While for security reasons this may not be the best idea, at least track each and every time the password is changed (in 1P) and allow entry of a short note explaining why. With so many security breaches occurring, it's necessary to know if the password was changed after the breach, or after the breach notification. Personally I change the password after I hear of a suspected breach and after I, eventually, receive a formal notification from the company which is often several months later in the U.S. I want to be able to track all the password changes with a short note alongside each. The current "last modified" date is not sufficient.

Thanks for reading this!

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Piggy!

First of all, thank you for all the suggestions!

Last but not least, I thought you used to track all previously used passwords. Am I mistaken about this?

That's right, you can see the password history inside your Login item. The feature is still there though, what platform are you using?

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, I'm using the desktop 1P app on macOS. I must be missing something obvious because I cannot find a record of the password history. How do I access it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Piggy:

Here is a screenshot for you:

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Options

OMG

How could I have never noticed this? I've used Reveal and Show in Large Type hundreds of times.

Thank you...

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Ana you're very welcome. 😁 I'm sorry it wasn't more discoverable.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.