WatchTower changes and new, automatic category for tracking OTOP 2FA records

Options
Piggy
Piggy
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Mac

Watchtower, Two-Factor Authentication provides a list of all 1P records that reference a website that is known to support 2FA. This is great - thank you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is technically OTOP 2FA because many websites support SMS 2FA, but I don't believe this is what the Watchtower category referring to. If I am correct, please consider renaming to perhaps "OTOP Two-Factor Authentication".

Please consider adding a category (guess it might be a sub-category of Logins) of 1P records configured for OTOP 2FA. This would compliment the current feature which lists websites where TOTP 2FA could be used. Currently I track this with a tag and periodically reconcile to verify I haven't missed anything. I do this in conjunction with Watchtower to determine if there are any good candidates to switch to OTOP 2FA.

Related.... there are plenty of websites I would like to support TOTP 2FA that don't. If we your customers were provided some standard verbiage and a link to an info website on how the website can implement this, customers like me would gladly provide this information to the website support team. Thanks for listening!

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.4 Big Sur
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Piggy!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is technically OTOP 2FA because many websites support SMS 2FA, but I don't believe this is what the Watchtower category referring to. If I am correct, please consider renaming to perhaps "OTOP Two-Factor Authentication".

This Watchtower refers to 2FA in general, so we don't need to split it into multiple categories, which would likely only cause confusion to most users. Whether it's via TOTP, U2F or SMS, Watchtower lets the user know that 2FA for that website is available, no matter how they decide to enable it.

And thank you for the suggestion on verbiage!

This discussion has been closed.