Why are passwords being deleted, sometimes along with usernames, when updating email fields?

Options
SMkruger
SMkruger
Community Member

I'm on latest 1Password7 on Mac OS (latest). Due to a change in email address access, I'm updating a lot of records because I'm changing email addresses. In some cases the email address is the username field, and sometimes it's a custom text field. At least 7 times so far, one for sure where the email was a custom text field and NOT the username, when I edit an entry and change the email, the username and password fields disappear. Sometimes the username field came back, but the password field was absolutely obliterated/blanked. Had to reset 5 passwords because it was gone. In the last 2 cases, which happened this morning (June 22, 2021), I had the foresight to screen capture the form in edit mode with focus on the password field so I could see it and reinstate the username and password after they were blanked.
This is a serious bug because in all cases, I have no idea what the password is so when the field is blanked with no history, I have effectively lost the password unless I had it copied elsewhere temporarily.

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: Family subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SMkruger!

Can you please post a few screenshots that show the fields section, so we can see what you are referring to when you say they disappeared? Thank you!

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @SMkruger I came here looking for posts about this issue and sure enough yours was very recent. I'm a very long time 1Password user also using 1Password7 and Mac OS recent version. I've been freaked out that this has happened several times in the last month or so, and I never encountered this unfortunate UX experience in the past. 1Password has always felt so stable. Now, if I'm not exceptionally careful, it seems to change the existing password field almost by default. A scary bug indeed. I've just changed my Wi-fi password inadvertently and now have no idea how to restore it. I'd like some support from a 1Password team member to revert to the earlier password because in this case I don't even know how to reset it without having the old one. Thanks in advance for help from anyone who has a possible solution.

• SMkruger
    SMkruger
    Community Member
    Options

I had to immediately reset passwords and save them again so no, I can't post shots that show it. In any Login record in 1Password, the fields are at the top: username and password. After changing the email - again even if in it's own custom text field called "Email provided" or heck, in the "notes" field, the "password" field at the top is blanked after I save the change I made. It's like this:
    1. Click "Edit" for a login form.
    2. Change email from blah@domain.com to dar@domain.com in a field, whether the "username" or custom text field "Email provided".
    3. Click Save.
    4. Upon refresh of the record, the "username" and "password" fields are gone.
    5. Click Edit.
    6. Upon refresh of the record to edit mode, the "username" and "password" fields reappear, sometimes with the "username" field restored but the "password fields is just fake "****" as clicking the field results in a blank field. The value that was there, my password, is now forever gone.

I just tried it with a form that exhibited this behavior before and it didn't happen again. Changing the "username" field to a different email and saving did not blank the password field. But it did earlier this morning.

• SMkruger
    SMkruger
    Community Member
    Options

@Paisley - as I just mentioned, it literally happened today but I couldn't reproduce it on the same form. I'm now going to be in the habit of taking a screen shot with the password field displayed in Edit mode every time just in case.

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

@SMkruger thanks for the detailed description. It seems to describe what I'm experiencing. I'll try the screenshot in the future but for now I've got to restore a functional Wi-fi password.

• SMkruger
    SMkruger
    Community Member
    Options

@Paisley - been there. I think you may have to resign yourself to just resetting that bad boy all the way to factory and starting over. PITA but probably your only option.

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

:p got it, thanks much!

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana or any other 1Password team members, I'd appreciate any help with reverting my accidental confirmation of the accidental update of my password yesterday. I am currently unable to do anything with my wireless network. Also, can you advise on how the prevent 1Password from auto-changing my passwords in the future?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @Paisley

You can learn about restoring previous versions of items here:

View and restore previous versions of items

Also, can you advise on how the prevent 1Password from auto-changing my passwords in the future?

1Password doesn't have a feature to auto-change passwords. This isn't something that we currently offer.

@SMkruger

I just tried it with a form that exhibited this behavior before and it didn't happen again. Changing the "username" field to a different email and saving did not blank the password field. But it did earlier this morning.

That's really quite odd. If you find a way to reliably reproduce the issue please let us know. I'm going to play around with it myself as well and see if I can make it happen on my system.

Ben

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben. SMkruger's point by point description above is pretty much what I've been noticing just recently. I've been using 1Password with no such issues for many years.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Paisley:

I have tried reproducing the issue with those instructions but I have not managed to make this happen so far. Do you have a screenshot of what an entry looks like when this happens?

• Paisley
    Paisley
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana not currently but I'll be sure to document this and if it continues I'll make a screenshot and let you know. Thanks much.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, thank you @Paisley!

This discussion has been closed.