Do I need a hard copy of my passwords stored away?

2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman:

Yet the mini app is not saving the password it generates

Every password generated by 1Password should be automatically saved inside the Passwords category of the 1Password app :+1:

Anyway, when I'm doing this from now on, can I generate the new password through the original 1Pass app and not the mini?

If you prefer, certainly.

My recommendation would be to use the 1Password browser extension to do this instead though, I think it's the easiest method, and the one I also personally use. I almost never create passwords in the 1Password app or in 1Password mini, I do almost everything in the browser extension:

Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I appreciate your persistence in assisting me. I thought I was doing things by the book, but I guess not. I mean I've only been using 1Pass since 2014(LOL). I've never really had much trouble with it. I will try to be more careful going forward and see how it goes. If I run into problems, I will most certainly let you know. Thanks much.

• Sounds good jazzman.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

The other is, when the mini app generates a password, it does not save it as is.
    How does it save it exactly? It just creates another one and saves it. Weird!

Please explain what you mean by doing all in the browser extension. I.e., when you open a website, do you just do it through the browser and not use the 1Pass app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman:

How does it save it exactly? It just creates another one and saves it. Weird!

If you open the 1Password app and go to the Passwords category, do you see these generated passwords there?

when you open a website, do you just do it through the browser and not use the 1Pass app?

That's correct: I use the browser extension for this and I don't touch the 1Password app (or 1Password mini in the menu bar). Most of the time, I use the suggested password offered by 1Password (you can see a screenshot of this here), otherwise I generated a password manually, but still inside the browser extension:

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

If you open the 1Password app and go to the Passwords category, do you see these generated passwords there?

Maybe I did this wrong but, the last time I tried to update a password, it generated the password(and I told it to update it in 1Pass) and then generated and saved a second one in the app. When I tried to open the website, it said I had an incorrect password. I did correct it, but it took a while and was a real hassle. I'll just have to be more careful from now on. I saved all of the helps you gave me so I can refer to them next time. It's not like I create and save or even update passwords every day. Anyway, I'll keep you posted as things develop. I appreciate your kind attention.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman:

I do, yes.

Maybe I did this wrong but, the last time I tried to update a password, it generated the password(and I told it to update it in 1Pass) and then generated and saved a second one in the app.

It sounds like you might have selected the option Save new login instead of Update existing. When you update a login in the browser, 1Password will show you a popup to ask you if you want to save the new credentials. At the top of the window, you see both options to either save a new login, or update an existing one. In your case, it sounds like you created a new login instead of updating an existing one (I say it because it has happened to me before too :) ).

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I'm sure you're right. I'll just have to be more careful going forward.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Here we go again. I was changing a password on a site today and, lo and behold, I directed 1Pass to update the existing one. What did it do? It saved a different password from the one I created. Go figure. I even write these things down as I go along to make sure what I'm telling you is correct. I created one pw, and it created and saved another one. Really weird. I'm sure it must be me, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have used this program since 2014 without problems until now. At least I am able to work around it and end up with a solution but not without a lot of trouble.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I stand corrected! I chose a seldom used website and changed the password. I logged in to the site, navigated to the place where you update password info and entered the current password. Then, using the mini app, I told 1Pass to generate a new password. When I did not receive an error message, I instructed it to update the existing password and it worked like a charm. So, at least on updating passwords, it had to have been my mistake all along. I guess I'll just have to be more careful going forward. Thanks for putting up with me through this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman:

Thank you for the updates, and I am glad to hear that the procedure now works for you :) If you noticed any other strange behavior, please feel free to record your screen while you do this, so we can take a look and make sure we look at the exact steps you are following :+1:

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Will do. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.