1Password, why does the browser extension need such invasive permissions?

Hi 1Password,
The 'old' browser extension only asked for minimal permissions when being added. Now, when I add the Edge-browser specific extension, it asks for all of this:

• Read and change all your data on the websites you visit
  • Display notifications
  • Manage your downloads
  • Manage your apps, extensions, themes
  • Communicate with cooperating native applications
  • Change your privacy-related settings

Is there some documentation where you explain why all of this is needed? I can intuitively understand why (above) the first bullet, the second bullet, and the fourth bullet are needed. But, why, for example do you need to change my privacy-related settings? Why do you need to manage my downloads?
Perhaps there are legitimate reasons - if there are, I'd love to know about them. Honestly, that's not a snarky comment. If the reasons are valid, then fair-enough.
Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @HIR45! I appreciate the question and the fact that you're looking out for your privacy. Indeed, all of these permissions have valid uses, and we've laid out what each permission is used for here. Let me know if you have any questions about any of these. :smile:

• HIR45
    HIR45
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc , thank you for that info.
    Yes, that is what I was looking for. I wish there was a way I could decide which permissions are necessary so I could employ my own least-privilege scheme. For example, I don't need the browser extension to be able to download emergency kit/diagnostics, and I don't need 1password to turn off the old extension - I can do those things myself without giving additional/unnecessary access. It would be great if each permission had its own switch to turn that particular setting on/off. But I understand isn't 1Password's issue, but rather the implementation of the browser itself. Thanks again for the info.

• @HIR45

I'm glad the info that Michael provided was helpful. Indeed, I can see the value of being able to control these individually. We appreciate your feedback and I'll be happy to pass it along to the rest of the team. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.