Starting with 1password and Chrome on Windows 10

Newbie here.
I just installed 1Password on my desktop (Win 10) and added it to Chrome. I have 200+ password saved with Chrome password manager, many duplicates, some compromised.

What is the recommended way to proceed and move from Chrome password manager to 1Password? Is it this sequence?

1) export data/passwords from Chrome
2) import data to 1 password
3) disable Chrome password manager, and the delete my passwords from Chrome
4) Start going through the Watchtower and start fixing my passwords?

Anything I am missing? Thanks !

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@dudley Welcome.
    That looks like a good approach.
    You might want to think about how you are going to organise your items. Vaults act like folders that you can use to organise items and can be shared with others. Tags add extra dimensions because you can add more than one tag to the same item.
    When you're deleting the duplicate items from your 1Password vaults you have the choice of whether to Archive them or Delete them. At this early stage, you might prefer to Archive them. However, its not critical as any you delete can be recovered from Recently Deleted Items at 1password.com.
    To get the full benefits install 1Password on all your devices and make sure you save your Emergency Kit somewhere safe before you need it.

• dudley
    dudley
    Community Member

Thank you !

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

@dudley that's a good approach. I did it the same way a few months ago.
    Some hints what I found useful for initial cleanup:

• to find duplicate entries, it might help if you enter a part of the password in the search bar. Every item with the that part of the password is shown, so you can choose one to keep and trash the other.
    • I took the opportunity and logged into each of the saved accounts to see if the login is still existing and active. Invalid accounts were deleted immediately.
    • While being logged on, I changed the password if the password was a weak or duplicate one. Already strong passwords were left unchanged, of course.
    • I added tags to the more important logins, such as "banking", "social media", "cloud accounts" to get an overview what kind of accounts are present. Tags can be nested/put into a hierarchy. Put a / into the tag name to create a hierarchy.

From all of my 250 imported entries survived about 130.

• dudley
    dudley
    Community Member

Excellent suggestions, thank you!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Great suggestions and approach! We're here if you require further assistance :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.