mrc-converter-suite zip archive is not trusted by Big Sur

Options
blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

How do I export Big Sur Safari passwords? Using Keychain Access Export all items gray out Export. I have spent all afternoon trying to export my Safari passwords into 1Passsword.

You want me to only use 1P, so please tell me how to combine Safari and 1P in Big Sur.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@blackxacto ,

You should have no trouble unzipping the zip archive.

The Get_Safari_Passwords script inside is just a plain text AppleScript. Everyone has full access to review it. I do not bother code signing these plain text scripts. To run Get_Safari_Passwords, just open with Script Editor and run. There is is video available the shows the entire process. Look under Extra Help, in the Videos folder where you downloaded the archive.

The macOS Keychain Access utility does not export iCloud Keychains. This is not something the 1Password team can change.

I’m happy to help if you need it.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

There is no video, the conversion to CSV file was successful.
    Now how do I convert to 1P file so I can import?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@blackxacto ,

Look under Extra Help, in the Videos folder where you downloaded the archive.

It is at the Dropbox location, not inside the mrc-converter-suite folder or package.

If you now have the CSV file from Get_Safari_Passwords, now you run the csv converter. Right click the macOSConverterHelp and select Open. Select the CSV converter listed there. You may get prompted to allow the script to run.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

That is probably the worst conversion experience I've ever seen. Took two days including waiting on instructions. I find it amazing that 1P wants us to turn off Safari passwords, yet put this confusing scattered process together. Thanks MRC for your help. 1P needs to provide a decent video to explain this complex operation, if they want us to turn off Safari passwords.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@blackxacto ,

I'm sorry it's caused you so much grief. I don't speak for the 1Password folks.

I'll reiterate, neither Safari, nor KeyChain Access, provide any export for iCloud Keychain data. So users are left to fend for themselves. This is, and has been, an Apple issue.

Next release of macOS is apparently going to allow users to export Safari passwords. This is a great thing. But for over 5 years, there has been no good solution, and so I've tried to provide at least some method. Short of that, you'd have to manually copy / paste each URL, username, and password, to and from the two different environments. And no video can really help much in this process.

The 1Password folks suggest disabling Safari passwords, because users end up with out-of-sync data, and are entirely confused by two different places from which to pull password data.

Enjoy 1Password.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password folks suggest disabling Safari passwords, because users end up with out-of-sync data, and are entirely confused by two different places from which to pull password data.

Exactly! And I recently cleaned up my wife's confused password situation caused by having 1Password and Safari both offering to save credentials or fill them in. Kudos to @MrC, whose converter works pretty flawlessly for me. I didn't find it very confusing to use, but following the instructions in the README file was important.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is indeed the reason for the suggestion :) For anyone else who might stumble upon this discussion in the future, here is the relevant documentation page:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

This discussion has been closed.