please make markdown opt-in

Options
jhbarker
jhbarker
Community Member

Adding markdown formatting to text notes has converted words, phrases with asterisks (e.g. some passwords) into formatted text. This is extremely frustrating, as these words are no longer searched or displayed correctly. E.g. if a note contains an explanation and a password "thisismy*password", then markdown formatting renders it incorrectly.

Markdown is great, but why not make it opt-in? Especially since less-savvy users will have no idea what happened to their notes (I have had to fix it for others who have no idea what markdown is and had no use for it).

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jhbarker
    jhbarker
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I guess your forum also renders in markdown (can I turn that off?). The password I tried to write above was this(asterisk)is(asterisk)my(asterisk)password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jhbarker!

I am afraid that at the moment it's not possible to turn off markdown altogether in 1Password or on this forum. However, if you are entering passwords in your Secure Notes, you can enter them between triple backtick characters (```) and markdown rendering will not work for that password. Here is a difference between the two options in a secure note:

• jhbarker
    jhbarker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I am aware of how to escape out of MD commands, but my concern is for less savvy users.
    best,
    jason

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you for the clarification @jhbarker :+1:

• griffinYing
    griffinYing
    Community Member
    Options

What about 1Password > Preferences > General tab, unchecking the checkbox "Format secure notes using Markdown"? Mine seems still to be working to prevent secure notes getting rendered in markdown.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@griffinYing:

I must admit I missed that setting, thank you for commenting on this!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhbarker:

Does the suggestion by griffinYing help? Here is a screenshot:

• jhbarker
    jhbarker
    Community Member
    Options

I knew about that option in Preferences. My suggestion is that the checkbox "Format secure notes using Markdown" default to unselected. I would suggest that Markdown users could then go and select this new feature.

My experience was that secure notes containing Markdown formatting characters changed with a 1Password update with no clear warning. Yes, the release notes mentioned adding Markdown compatibility, but most users will not know to scan their secure notes for MD formatting characters. Rather, some of their secure notes will look mangled to them.

Honestly, it may be too late. I do not think the 1Password folks want to push out an update that now de-selects the MD option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, noted @jhbarker :+1: From what I have seen so far, I don't remember many requests to change this, so I think that's the safer default looking at the requests over the years. But we can certainly continue monitoring and see if we get more feedback about this in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.