Feature Request: Family Management: Push out client configurations to signed-in devices

Options
Ryan Parman
Ryan Parman
Community Member

I manage 1Password for my family. I'm working very hard to teach my children good habits from the get-go, and trying to re-train my wife's habits (which are dictionary attack hell). The issue is, my children split time between me (U.S.) and their mother (Canada). With the pandemic and not being able to cross the US-Canadian border without undergoing a sensible-yet-expensive quarantine, their devices and they way they manage their stuff has fallen into disrepair. They're teenagers, and dad's talking about passwords again.

So…

What I do when I have their phones, iPads, and laptops with me is to ensure that they all have non-beta software, their Watchtower is set up and syncing, their TOTP codes can copy to their clipboards, and — the big one — that they don't get lost in vault management.

The vault thing is a little exacerbated by my approach to bootstrapping the 1Password Families account with credentials stored in a vault that syncs with iCloud Keychain, and I'd rather (a) they not see duplicates and get confused, or (b) store credentials in vaults that they later can't find on the same or a different device.

Here's the feature request: Come up with a secure way for my wife/children (users) to authorize me (not-present administrator) to push known-good configurations to their client applications. Silently would be convenient for me, but if my account were ever compromised, I would want them to have to choose to accept before they get applied. Maybe something with a code that needs to be verified both places like with Bluetooth. I dunno. But that's the idea.

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: macOS 11.5 Beta (20G5052c)
Sync Type: iCloud + 1P Family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ryan Parman!

The vault thing is a little exacerbated by my approach to bootstrapping the 1Password Families account with credentials stored in a vault that syncs with iCloud Keychain, and I'd rather (a) they not see duplicates and get confused, or (b) store credentials in vaults that they later can't find on the same or a different device.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "bootstrapping the 1Password Families account with credentials stored in a vault that syncs with iCloud Keychain" exactly? Once they get their devices, do your children see both 1Password and iCloud keychain enabled?

This discussion has been closed.