Win 10 Chrome extension signals UAC prompt; 1Pass pop-up briefly appears & disappears

Options

Hey, fam!

From the 22ⁿᵈ to the 4ᵗʰ, I was away from my desktop computer (Windows 10.0.19042). I've been running 1Password on this machine for a few years. Current version is 7.7.810.

Since returning, I've noticed that whenever I click the 1Password extension in Chrome (or use the Ctrl+Shift+1 shortcut), the expected pop-up briefly appears (~½ sec) and then fades away. Clicking a password field in a site's login form doesn't provide the expected 1Password prompt for the site's saved credentials.

The extension is logged in. I've uninstalled and reinstalled versions 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 of the extension — running each asynchronously. As far as I know, Chrome (64-bit) is up-to-date, running version 91.0.4472.124.

I've restarted Chrome and restarted the computer; however, the results are the same. In both 1Password extension versions, the initial attempt to use the extension and all subsequent attempts result in the same behavior.

What's more, for every attempt to engage the extension, a minimized UAC prompt blinks silently in the taskbar. Clicking it presents the standard dimmed desktop background.

When I click Yes, I receive the following error message:

TITLE: Windows - Application Error
MESSAGE: The exception unknown software exception (0xe06d7363) occurred in the application at location 0x000000007573A6F2.

Triggering the extension, the results are the same as before — the in-browser 1Pass pop-up briefly appears and then fades away.

When I click No for the UAC prompt, the error message isn't received. Nevertheless, clicking the extension or triggering it with the shortcut yields the same behavior — 1Password's Chrome pop-up interface momentarily appears, then disappears.

Not sure what to do about this one, but looking forward to a few good solutions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.4 (& 2.0.5)
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19042
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @redroversquared ,
    Thanks for the detailed report.

Looks like there's an issue with your 1Password desktop app and the extension can't connect to it properly.
    Can you please try bringing up the Windows Run prompt (Windows key + R), then type in 1password.exe setup and hit Enter.

Does that bring up the 1Password desktop app and allows you to unlock it? When you unlock it, does the extension in the browser works?

In case that didn't help, please uninstall the 1Password desktop app completely, then re-install it from here: https://1password.com/downloads/

• redroversquared
    redroversquared
    Community Member
    Options

The Run command initiated the UAC prompt, which I approved; however, the app's lock interface never appeared.

As that meant the extension was still out of order, I followed your suggestion to uninstall & reinstall 1P.

Now everything's clever. Merci!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @redroversquared! And on behalf of Yaron, you are welcome :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.