1Password Extension Improvement

Options
alamarco
alamarco
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I am using the latest 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge. One area that was a bit annoying was that the 1Password pop-up when clicking into a form would basically take over the form which made navigating it cumbersome. So I went to the 1Password Settings and under Autofill I deselected Show autofill menu on field focus. This is perfect as I still see the 1Password button on forms so I have access to it when I need it.

The issue is that it now requires two clicks to unlock. You need to click the 1Password icon on the form which will bring up the menu and then click Open 1Password which takes me to the Windows Hello to unlock. It feels redundant. If I'm clicking the 1Password icon I think it's obvious I'm wanting to Open 1Password. I feel like if I click the 1Password icon it should take me directly to Windows Hello.

If not default, maybe this could be an option in the same area. Under Settings and Autofill and under Show autofill menu on field focus have an option that's tied to that one like Open 1Password directly.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 2.0.4
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alamarco!

The issue is that it now requires two clicks to unlock. You need to click the 1Password icon on the form which will bring up the menu and then click Open 1Password which takes me to the Windows Hello to unlock. It feels redundant. If I'm clicking the 1Password icon I think it's obvious I'm wanting to Open 1Password. I feel like if I click the 1Password icon it should take me directly to Windows Hello.

I think there is a security reason for this: since the 1Password icon is shown directly on the page, if you could unlock it directly from there it means that anyone could put a fake 1Password icon on webpages. So to make sure the request is coming from the real 1Password, you need to unlock it in the separate window.

In your case, you could skip a step by clicking directly on the 1Password browser extension icon at the top of your browser, instead of clicking on the icon in the inline menu below form fields (from what you wrote, I think this is what you are referring to).

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_ana . I don't really get that because why couldn't anyone just fake the entire process? If they can fake the button, why can't they fake the plugin window? I think the security risk is the same whether it opens directly or not.

Regarding the button in the top of the browser, it also requires two clicks. The first click unlocks it (which it does so directly and is what I'm hoping the inline button would do), but it doesn't display anything. I have to click the button again for the 1Password window to open.

• @alamarco

You're right, we can definitely improve the workflow here. I can see the value of having the pop-up display after the initial unlock. I've shared your feedback with the team, hopefully we can improve the behaviour in an upcoming release.

Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help! :)

ref: ref: dev/core/core#7986

This discussion has been closed.