Mac desktop UI freeze after create new item, cancel

mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member
edited July 2021 in Mac

When doing the following:

1. Open 1Password desktop application for macOS.
  2. Click "+" button to create a new Login item.
  3. Click Cancel button to cancel item creation.
  4. Click Don't Save.

the result is that the entire 1Password user interface becomes completely unresponsive to mouse clicks.

It stays unresponsive until the user changes focus to some other application. Upon return to 1Password it is working again.

(Also, the problem where pinned windows lose their red/yellow/green stoplights AND the Edit button overlays where the buttons should be is still outstanding; that was reported months and months ago.)

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @mschmitt

That is strange. I haven't seem other report the same. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device: * Please do this while experiencing the unresponsiveness.

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/122038/mac-desktop-ui-freeze-after-create-new-item-cancel
    • Your forum username: mschmitt

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

--

The issue with the stoplights is a known outstanding issue. My apologies.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

How will I run the diagnostic report while it is unresponsive? When I switch to the diagnostic application the UI will unfreeze.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@mschmitt

Is the entire Mac unresponsive during this time? The Diagnostic tool is a separate download and application. It should not be blocked or unresponsive. Just try to capture it as close to the event as possible, but afterwards at a minimum so we can capture any logs.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

Arrgh! Now I can't recreate the problem!

I did recreate it multiple times before posting to the forum, and it was consistent. Now, it is working as expected. I also was unable to recreate it on my other machine, running Catalina.

Not sure why the difference, but one thing I noticed is that I had not yet triggered the pop-up dialog after you first delete an item with this version. You know, the one that tells you that "delete" now means "delete permanently" instead of "archive it in the Trash"? The dialog that doesn't appear until after you have destructively deleted the item? The one that tells you that if you had already seen the warning then you would know that you should have picked Archive, but since you haven't seen the warning yet, you now have deleted forever the item you were expecting to be archived? That one.

Anyway... maybe there's an interaction here? Is there any way to restore the prompts so that it will display that same warning on the first delete again? Then I can see if the freeze returns.

• @mschmitt

It always seems like a problem disappears as soon as one reaches out to tech support. I'm glad that the issue resolved itself, if the issue returns then you can generate a diagnostic report using Tommy's instructions above. :)

When I delete an item in the 1Password for Mac app I see the following prompt:

The prompt appears before deletion and it gives me the choice to cancel the deletion. Are you seeing this prompt when you right-click on an item and then click Delete?

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

No, mine says "This item will be deleted immediately. You cannot undo this action", which I ignored because I knew that "delete immediately - can't undo" just means that the item will be archived in the Trash, although the wording did seem strange, but oh well since we know that it will be non-destructively archived from 13 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE using 1Password, it is safe to click Delete, and WTF???

The dialog I was referring to is the one that comes up after this confirmation. It appears the one time after you you have destructively deleted the item, to explain that Delete now doesn't Archive.

I'm asking if there's a way to restore that prompt so I can test to see if that has anything to do with the reported problem.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2021

@mschmitt

You likely have a Primary vault. Delete immediately would immediately delete the item and it would be unrecoverable. The message should appear any time you delete the item. There is not a trash function only an archive and delete immediately for standalone vaults.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

Yes, but I'm talking about a different warning dialog, that appears one time only after this warning. I can't show a screen print because I've already seen it.

• Hmm, I cant get one to show up after this. I'm afraid I am at a loss at the moment, even with a newly created Primary vault on a VM of 10.14.6

Are you by chance, are you using a Primary vault with a membership? If so, you'll see this message the first time you click the Archive.

This discussion has been closed.