New user. 1Password not working on Android Firefox on Samsung Tablet

Options
VelvetGlove
VelvetGlove
Community Member
edited July 2021 in Android

Hi there. I'm a new user of 1Password and new to this forum so please be gentle. ;-)

I'm having trouble getting 1PW to work properly on my tablet. It is running Android 11 and I have the latest Firefox browser installed and 1PW is also up to date. The problem is that there is no sign of 1PW when I go to login somewhere. No popup, no icon in the browser, nothing.

The odd thing is that I have the same combination of 1PW + Firefox on my android mobile phone (except that is Android 9) and 1PW works as it should there. As far as I can see the mobile does NOT have a 1PW add-on to Firefox so I'm not even sure an add-on is necessary??

I have compared settings between the two devices as best I can and they all appear to be the same. I have enabled accessibility on both and I have made sure I was logged in to various accounts in case that was needed but still no joy on the tablet.

I've looked for a 1PW add-on in case that was needed but the 1Password-X add-on that I've seen a link to on this site has a greyed out install button. The "Classic" 1PW add-on link just leads to a download of an .xpi file which I can find no way of using or installing.

I could go back to Chrome + 1Password, which has been working fine for me on all devices until a couple of days ago when I tried this switch to Firefox. But if there is something I am missing I would like to try it before giving up, I don't like mysteries!

I would welcome any ideas you good folk might have on this problem. Being a 1PW newbie I may well have overlooked something obvious. Thanks!

Problem device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Firefox version: 90.1.2
1Password for Android: v7.7.7
Android version: 11

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member
    Options

LATER UPDATE:
    I have found a partial workaround to my problem. There is a setting in Firefox to switch to "Desktop site". This appears to enable 1PW to work via the pop-up keyboard mechanism (no 1PW add-on required).

This desktop switch sometimes remains ON for new tabs. Other times it's off. Seems rather random but at least I have a passable solution to situations where I need some credentials.

One final observation; having a physical keyboard cover attached to the tablet disables the pop-up keyboard and thus the ability to use 1PW altogether. I believe this may be true of Chrome as well. :-(

Perhaps this information will help others with similar problems.

• Hey @VelvetGlove, welcome to the Forum! We're so happy you've reached out with such details and even provided an update :)

I've looked for a 1PW add-on in case that was needed but the 1Password-X add-on that I've seen a link to on this site has a greyed out install button. The "Classic" 1PW add-on link just leads to a download of an .xpi file which I can find no way of using or installing.

I apologize for the confusion. For Android devices, you will only need to download the Android app from the Play Store. The add-on you are referring to is specific to desktop devices!

One final observation; having a physical keyboard cover attached to the tablet disables the pop-up keyboard and thus the ability to use 1PW altogether. I believe this may be true of Chrome as well. :-(

Android 11 and Gboard have added support to display Autofill results in the keyboard suggestion strip right above the virtual keyboard. When you have a physical, external keyboard plugged in, the virtual keyboard no longer appears on the screen, so your Autofill results won't be seen either. If you plug out your keyboard, you will be able to see the Autofill results. If you disable Autofill and Autofill previews in 1Password's Autofill settings, leaving only Accessibility on, you will see the Autofill dropdown menu, just like how Autofill appears on your mobile device running Android 9.

That being said, we've had reports of Autofill working successfully while using a physical, external keyboard by switching to another virtual keyboard. Can you try downloading and using SwiftKey instead?

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_audrey. Thanks for the welcome and for all the helpful info at a time when I am getting to grips with how 1Password works on my different devices. I'm learning new things about it every day.

Thanks for the confirmation that browser extensions/add-ons are not required on Android - good to know!

I have followed your suggestion regarding Swiftkey and the results are very promising. I can confirm that having Swiftkey enabled on my Tablet and all except "Accessibility" turned OFF in 1PW's Autofill settings I have a functioning autofill system whether the physical keyboard is attached or not. Great tip, thank you! I think I'll probably be ok now that I have configured the virtual keyboard to my liking, it looks a nice one.

Thanks again for your help! Am looking forward to starting my first full paid year with 1Password tomorrow (trial ends today)! 8-)

• ag_audrey
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hey @VelvetGlove, I'm happy I was able to help clarify the Autofill behaviour on your Android tablet!

Ideally, you'd want to enable Autofill and Accessibility at the same time, as Autofill is the standard framework for filling in Android while Accessibility fills wherever Autofill is not supported. I don't have an Android tablet, so I'm not able to test this myself, but if you use the SwiftKey keyboard and enable Autofill, Accessibility, and Autofill previews, are you unable to see the Autofill prompt?

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, now that's interesting!... I tried your suggestion (Swiftkey + all autofill options ON) and can confirm that I am getting the little 1PW window popping up when needed whether I have the physical keyboard attached or not. Excellent. What's more there was one site I use that was proving to be rather obstinate, possibly because of the login dialog type they use (drop down dialog from a link in the header) but this combination seems to have resolved that one too. 1PW's popup is in a different place on that site (bottom left of screen rather than just below the "username" slot) but it is there and makes its presence known. So all in all your suggestion to enable all autofill options is an even better solution for me.

I'm still trying to get my head round what all these things are doing in the background but there is a small glimmer of understanding now... I would be lost without your guidance, though, so thanks again for your help!! If you need anything else testing out on an Android tablet just let me know.

• Hey @VelvetGlove, I'm glad my suggestion created a better solution for you :)

If you'd like to learn more about Autofill on Android devices, you can check out this page and its subsequent articles: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/text/autofill.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

This discussion has been closed.