Onboarding to 1Password 8 is very painful.

Options

I love the new design, but onboarding to the new client was very painful for me:
1. It doesn't import settings from the previous 1Password client
2. It doesn't support scanning a QR code to fill in the details for you
3. Login via the browser only provides instructions on how to find login details on other clients
4. The secret key field doesn't auto-format as you type (make letters capitals, insert hyphens)
5. The password field doesn't tell you if CAPS LOCK is on
6. The URL field doesn't auto-format or provide hints either by letting the user know if they need to add '.1password.com' on the end

Mostly the CAPS LOCK thing got me as I had that turned on to type out the secret key, and I didn't realise that it was still on for the password field.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mverde
    Options

Hi @kop48, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your onboarding experience with us! I'm happy to say that a few of these are already actively being discussed by the team. I was hoping that you could expand on what you mean by your third point. I can read it a couple of different ways depending on where I put the emphasis:

Login via the browser only provides instructions on how to find login details on other clients

or

Login via the browser only provides instructions on how to find login details on other clients

Or perhaps there's another option that I'm not considering. If you'd like to clarify, I'd be happy to take that, along with the other points that you've raised, back to the team.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde - I was expecting browser login to be closer to OAuth, whereby I can authenticate to my account in the browser, and it then passes the login cookie back to the app. I think that this would be mostly mitigated if 1P8 either: a) imported settings from the 1P7 install; or b) allowed use of QR codes to fill in most of the details.

Honestly, just showing a hint that CAPS LOCK is on and auto-formatting the secret key so that folks don't need to turn it on and insert dashes would probably be good enough :)

• Hey there @kop48, thanks for this feedback!

I was expecting browser login to be closer to OAuth, whereby I can authenticate to my account in the browser, and it then passes the login cookie back to the app.

If you have signed into your 1Password account in the browser already, you should be presented with an option to pass the account details from the browser to the app, only requiring your account password in order to add the account - here's what that looks like:

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    Options

It did not do that! Is this because I was using the 'older' extension and not the 'standalone' 1Password Browser one?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kop48:

Yes, you should make sure you use the latest 1Password in the browser extension (currently version 2.0.5), to get the most out of 1Password Early Access :+1:

• hcilamp
    hcilamp
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring back the caps lock icon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @hcilamp, noted!

ref: dev/core/core#4272

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

Was setting up v8 on my son's Windows 10 machine yesterday--the caps issue in the secret code got me. I expected that either that field would automatically convert to caps, or could read it either way. Was a pain to go back and re-enter the whole thing again...

• @rpallred

The Secret Key is not case sensitive, and the dashes are optional. I confirmed this by adding one of my accounts to 1Password 8 and using a mix of capital and lower case letters and omitting some of the dashes. That said I'll be happy to pass along the suggestion to the team that they automatically capitalize it and add the dashes for visual conformity during entry.

Thanks!

Ben

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Thanks for checking--I must have mistyped the first time and blamed it on the lowercase letters.

• No problem!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.