Feature requests: Slider change and PIN on all platforms

BlockchainAppliance
BlockchainAppliance
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Lounge

Hi there!

I grouped these requests mostly because they concern items in the same section of the apps (more or less). If you need me to break them up for tracking, let me know.

[ 1 ]
Slider change -
This one is the easiest to describe. Generally, when you create a new password or login, regardless of the platform, you have the option to change the length of the password using a slider. On desktop, it's generally fine, but on mobile, it's a real hassle to mess with the slider because of the lack of accuracy. For example, if I need exactly 12 characters in a password because it's for some legacy internal application that will NEVER get updated, I have to mess with the slider, and it's never easy. I'll inevitably get to 13, or 11, or 10 characters, but it's always after fiddling for a while, which is an annoyance.

Possible fix -
Maybe a plus/minus button next to the slider to increment or decrement the number of characters by 1? Or better yet, an ability to type the exact number of characters needed (removing the slider entirely)?

It's a small thing, but it would be a noticeable improvement.

[ 2 ]
PIN on all platforms -
Sometimes, I need to create a PIN code. Sometimes long, sometimes short, but generally numeric. This option exists, but only on mobile (one of the dropdown options when creating a new login or password), far as I can tell (and still plagued by the slider, unfortunately). Sometimes I need to create a PIN on desktop, where the app does not have the option to do that. I don't know if the option exists on a machine where only the browser extension is installed, since I use the desktop app (and find it invaluable). I tried changing the settings on the password generator so that the only checkbox marked was 'Allow digits', but that still generates an alphanumeric password.

Possible fix -
Include this option on the desktop. The only workaround I've been able to find is to create a PIN on mobile, save it, and wait for it to show up in the desktop client, where I can edit the entry with a little more ease.

Thanks for listening!

Edit -
I entered the system details where prompted, but they seem to have disappeared. Here they are:

1P app v 7.7.810 on Windows 8.1
1P ext v 2.0.5 on Firefox 90.0.2
1P app 7.7.7 on Android 11

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Hi @BlockchainAppliance!

Thank you for the feedback! And a quick update on the second point: the Early Access version of 1Password allows you to create a PIN code entry also on desktop ;)

• BlockchainAppliance
    BlockchainAppliance
    Community Member

Sweet! I'm on the main releases, but I'm glad it's being addressed! I guess I'll get it soon enough. Here's hoping the slider gets a second option - my fingers don't have much hope of becoming thinner.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @BlockchainAppliance, and thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this :)

This discussion has been closed.