Master password work on website but not the app

Options
shrink2
shrink2
Community Member

On the website, I can get into my personal vault with my new Master password but not the app. I'm not sure but the personal vault may be the only one I have. At any rate, I don't want to lose it. But I would like to be able to use the app, which is more convenient. BTW, the app worked fine before I changed the Master password.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS 11.5

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shrink2!

It sounds like you might have a separate Primary vault in your 1Password app. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

Can you confirm if you indeed have a Primary vault in your 1Password for Mac app?

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but I don't see how this answer helps. I can't confirm anything about what vault or vaults my 1Password for Mac has because I can't open it! It will not accept the Master Password that gets me into the 1Password website.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shrink2:

Understood, I was hoping you remembered if you had a Primary vault or not. No worries if you don't, we can help you find this out. To do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

I just now sent diagnostic report.

Thanks!

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I should mention that I had installed 2FA using authy. I don't know if that could be part of the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shrink2:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

Not that I can find. Would it be from 1Password domain?

• I found your ticket.

ref: HFY-35167-941

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

Is this the ticket# you were asking about? #HFY-35167-941

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, thank you @shrink2!

• shrink2
    shrink2
    Community Member
    Options

Now, my old Masterpw gets me into the app but not into the website! no pun intended but I'd like to have one password that works for both!

• @shrink2

I see my email counterparts have been assisting you. Please continue the discussion with them to prevent duplication of efforts. It looks as if we are awaiting a reply from you.

I am going to close this discussion so that we do not encounter that duplication of efforts.

This discussion has been closed.