Web form details gone from 1password8 - how do you find the prior data and where do I put it?

Options
Syd
Syd
Community Member

In 1password7 in my entry for 1Drive, I have the encryption key as a webform detail password entry. It's not on the login screen, it's on a screen post login, and I need this to get to my backups for which I am using my own private encryption key.

It looks like webform details is no longer in 1Password 8. Fine, I have to move the field. But if I can't see the contents how do I move it? (Ok, I go back to 1password7 on some device and edit the entry to 'move it')
But to what do I move it. I still don't want it to show except as *****, as it's a private field

The major issue of course is once you upgrade, you lose access to even see the field, which in this case would be catatrophic.

1Password Version: 8.1.2-62 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Referrer: forum-search:web form

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Syd!

But to what do I move it. I still don't want it to show except as *****, as it's a private field

You could create a custom field, and mark it as a password field, so it shows up masked by default:

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I know that method, but still the concept that I can no longer access the item would have been catastrophic. (OK, I do have it on a hard copy in my emergency file, but still, I'm a person who has backups on my backups, others?)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Syd

In 8.1.0-55 (June 28th) we added an advanced setting which allows these fields to be shown in 1Password 8. As of 8.1.2-42 (July 22nd) these fields can also be modified if shown.

1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Show auto-saved web details

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that solves the issue, and I guess it needs to be in a release notes/readme (if I missed it, sorry).

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I'm finding it a bit different and just adjusting, but I'm liking the 8 update in general, it's an easier work flow and it handles updates to items in a more understandable and better workflow than 7 did, so much so that now I trust it to update the right fields.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Syd

Yes, that solves the issue, and I guess it needs to be in a release notes/readme (if I missed it, sorry).

🎉

Can't blame you a bit for missing it, but it is there.

• 8.1.0-66 Release Notes (June 28th)
      "An option to show auto-saved web details in the item details view has been added to 1Password’s Advanced settings."

• 8.1.2-42 Release Notes (July 22nd)
      "Users can now edit (and delete) auto-saved web form details."

Edit: Updated with the link to the appropriate release notes. Note that 8.1.0-55 on June 28th, mentioned above, was a fat finger on my part. That should've been 8.1.0-66.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

BTW, I'm finding it a bit different and just adjusting, but I'm liking the 8 update in general, it's an easier work flow and it handles updates to items in a more understandable and better workflow than 7 did, so much so that now I trust it to update the right fields.

That's great to hear! Thank you. 😀

Ben

• SPLChris
    SPLChris
    Community Member
    Options

I just tested this today on 1Password 8 Stable and Nightly and both have this option in Advanced, but it apparently does nothing.

I tested it with a login that shows "remember_login" with a check mark when viewed on the web when clicking "
    Web Form Details", but there is nothing shown in 1 Password 8.

• fisherg
    fisherg
    Community Member
    Options

Doesn't work for me either, 1Password is not "remembering" all the fields on a particular web page I'm using and I can't seem to see or edit the missing field even though I have this option checked.

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here with the 1P8 release (8.7.0)
    Enabling that setting in the Preferences shows web form detail on some entries, but it appears incomplete and I don't see a way to tell 1Pasword what kind of field it is ... like how in 1P7 you could select which field was your username, email, password, etc.

• Hey @fishbert:

Your login details, like your username or password should be in the standard username / password fields. Generally speaking, we'd recommend against manually tweaking the auto-saved web details portion. 1Password 7's auto-saved web details displays any field 1Password detected when saving, no matter its type, or data state (as in fields that were empty are displayed). 1Password 8 instead displays only fields that had data entered, other than the HTML input types checkbox and radio, and then excludes the fields that were saved as the username and password in the main item details. Let me know if that helps explain what you're seeing here!

Jack

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Let me clarify… when I say it appeared incomplete, it wasn’t showing web form data for things like ‘remember me’ checkboxes.

But in general, I don’t understand why the flexibility present in 1P7 is deprecated like this in 1P8. I manually tweak web form details all the time. It’s basically required when you save login information from an account creation page, where a lot of extra fields get saved (and often misinterpreted) by 1Password.

• Goodman13
    Goodman13
    Community Member
    Options

This thread is a bit old, but I'd like to add to the conversation:

1Password is filling the "Remember Me" field. I don't want it to! So I changed my Advanced Settings to "Show auto-saved web details" and I see the "Saved on localhost" section when I edit my item, but there are no details shown.

To verify that 1Password has saved the "Remember Me" value, I "Copy item JSON" to notepad and can clear see that 1Password has saved these details.

{
        "value": "",
        "id": "RememberMe",
        "name": "RememberMe",
        "type": "C"
      },
      {
      },
      {
      }

How can I edit these details and remove this field!?!?!

I used to be able to do this in older versions of 1Password. How hard would it be to add this ability back?

Mark

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

These fields are not editable, as they're legacy fields. The best thing to do would be to save a new Login item for the site in question using 1Password in your browser and then once you've verified the new item works, delete the old item. I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Is it possible to run 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 simultaneously?

It is not possible to run the two side-by-side on the same device without causing conflicts, no. You could run each on different devices, or completely quit one and launch the other, but running them at the same time will almost certainly break your experience in your browsers.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.