Curious about how creating/changing a password works in 1password (previously) X

Options
tetardbleu
tetardbleu
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,
I recently had to change my PayPal password. Usually I go to the corresponding entry in my vault, edit it, and use the dental wheel next to the password field to generate a new one that I then copy/past. This time, I tried to go faster and use the infield suggestion to generate a new password. I was thinking that the extension would offer me to fill in the previously generated password when I have to repeat it in the second field to confirm. Unfortunately, the extension suggested me a new (other) generated password in the "repeat" field instead... Maybe I'm missing something, but I find this very confusing and counterproductive.
Any advice from the team about what I'm perhaps doing wrong ?
For a long time I used the classical extension, so probably that I missed something with this new version...
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tetardbleu!

If the extension filled two different passwords in the password field and in the repeat password field, that would definitely be a bug.

I was thinking that the extension would offer me to fill in the previously generated password when I have to repeat it in the second field to confirm.

For confirmation: did you have to click on the password suggestion once or twice? In other words, did 1Password fill both password fields for you at the same time, or did it just offer you two different suggestions?

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

For confirmation: did you have to click on the password suggestion once or twice? In other words, did 1Password fill both password fields for you at the same time, or did it just offer you two different suggestions?

Chrome, the first try, offered me 2 different suggestions. I had to click twice.

With safari, when I retried out of curiosity, one click filled both fields at the same time with the same password, but I know that the safari extension is not independent, so it doesn't work the same way that the "in the browser" one.

• Hello @tetardbleu,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. To ensure that we are on the same page, please let me know if this issue occurs when you change your password from the main PayPal website or when you make a payment from another website such as eBay and Paypal requests you to change password from there?

Changing passwords from paypal.com should work correctly. However, when we have to change the password when making a payment transaction on a third-party website, that could make a difference.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi,

Good catch ! To be precise, the page where I had to change my password appeared just after my login to their website. In other words, PayPal forced my hand with a special page that I couldn't ignore because they detected "suspicious activities" (me with a VPN, probably... :) ) so that's likely not the exact same page that the usual one… but it was the PayPal website anyway for the record.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info @tetardbleu .

If you encounter such issue again, here's what to do:

1. Click the "New Password" field so that 1Password will suggest a new strong password.
    2. Select the suggested password. 1Password will autofill it into the field and ask you if you'd like to save/update this password. Update the existing login item with the new password.
    3. In the "Confirm new password" field, if 1Password did not autofill it already and is suggesting a brand new different password, simply open your 1Password app/extension, locate the login entry for this website and copy the password from it, then paste it into the "Confirm password field".

The logic here is that the password in the login item was already updated in step 2, so it contains the exact same password that the "New Password" field contains. Pasting it into the "Confirm new password" field will work in that case.

Also, if you encounter such issues on websites, you can capture the page's structure and send it to us so we can investigate better. Simply right click the 1Password extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Help" -> "Collect Page Structure".
    That way we'll be able to "See" the how the page and the fields in it are built and have a better idea of what goes wrong and how to fix it if needed. :)

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

and ask you if you'd like to save/update this password. Update the existing login item with the new password.

that's the ting, this time, the update login window didn't appear.
    If PayPal bothers me again with this, I'll send you the structure of the page.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @tetardbleu .
    I hope you won't encounter such webpages again, but if you do, we'll be happy to help and investigate as needed :)

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

Just an addendum, from what I noticed when using 1ppassword in the browser in general. The update login windows usually appear if I log in to a website with a new password for an existing entry, but almost never when I use the "change password" page.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu

Go to this website: https://fill.dev/form/registration-email

When you click inside the password or confirm password fields, does 1Password suggest a new strong password? When you click on the suggested password, does 1Password not show the save/update prompt?

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again,
    on your test page, it worked like a charm !
    I guess I'll take note of the pages where it doesn't... :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That would be great, we'd love to investigate pages where the save prompt doesn't show up after using a suggested password :+1:

This discussion has been closed.