1Password does not recognize fingerprint reader in Magic Keyboard with Touch ID on M1 MacBook Pro

Options
geezjan
geezjan
Community Member

I have an M1 MacBook Pro which I keep closed and attached to an external display, keyboard, and trackpad. I just purchased the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID for it. I have set up my fingerprint for the keyboard fingerprint sensor, but 1Password does not recognize it. I can use the keyboard fingerprint sensor to unlock the computer and do everything else it's supposed to do in macOS, but 1Password only offers my Apple Watch to unlock, not the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. Is this by design, or will 1Password be updated to support the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID when paired with the M1 MacBook? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1 (20G80)

Comments

• densign
    densign
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon!

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hello @geezjan and @densign! 👋

Thank you for reporting the issue! Our developers hope to get their hands on a Magic Keyboard soon in order to test and investigate this issue. Until recently the only way to obtain a Magic Keyboard was by buying one of the new M1 Macs. You should still be able to use Touch ID on the keyboard if the Macbook Air's lid is kept open but, while I can't make any promises, I can certainly agree that it would be great to also be able to use Touch ID on the keyboard when it's in "clamshell" mode.

I've forwarded your reports to our development team. :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#5381

• acantril
    acantril
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

1password is doing something special here to stop this (maybe a lid check ? )
    the system security checks works fine with the lid closed
    other apps which support touchID such as Day One work ok with the lid closed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@acantril:

As soon as our developers can get a Magic Keyboard they will take a look at this. In the meantime, I have let them know that you have also encountered this :+1:

• magickeytouch
    magickeytouch
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Came here to +1 this issue now Magic Keyboards with Touch ID are available to purchase outside having a new iMac.

The issue isn't that the touch ID isn't recognised, it's that when lid is closed it disables touch ID. (Because this couldn't happen before they released these)

• MikoWhy91
    MikoWhy91
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Using a magic keyboard with touch id with MacBook pro m1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both @magickeytouch and @MikoWhy91, noted :+1:

• stylefrybread
    stylefrybread
    Community Member
    Options

My Magic Keyboard with Touch ID just arrived today and this was the first thing I noticed. Seems like 1Password is doing a check to make sure the lid is open, because it previously had to be in order to use Touch ID. No longer applies in this use case. Now that these keyboards are widely available, hope an update will be pushed soon!

• sonson
    sonson
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Me too.
    I can not unlock 1Password with Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted, thank you everyone :+1:

• ECB75
    ECB75
    Community Member
    Options

+1.. using TouchID with 1Password was the main reason I shelled out the $$ to get the new keyboard.

• kevin_a
    kevin_a
    Community Member
    Options

+1 same issue here. Bought the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID specifically for 1Password so I can keep my M1 MacBook Pro closed and connected to a monitor. Looking forward to this getting fixed!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both for chiming in on this as well! I have let our developers know :+1:

ref: apple-5381

• Anyone open to trying a beta?

🐞 1Password beta releases

1Password for Mac 7.8.7.BETA-2

• Adds support for the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID on Apple Silicon Macs.
  • kevin_a
    kevin_a
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I just downloaded the beta and IT WORKS!!!

I'm on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) with the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. I had a successful 1P unlock using the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID to unlock via the app, Safari extension and Chrome extension.

Thanks for the assist. This is so convenient now!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @kevin_a! I am glad to hear that the beta is working for you :)

• That's wonderful news.

• stylefrybread
    stylefrybread
    Community Member
    Options

Seems this was fixed? Works for me now on 1Password 7.

• @stylefrybread

Yes a release was issued. Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.