Unfortunate credit card auto-fill behaviour with spaces in last name

Options

My first and last name are structured like this: Firstname De Lastname which causes some funny behaviour when filling out credit card forms that have split entry fields.

It usually results in it being auto-filled as Firstname Lastname with the De being dropped out. I assume it is being interpreted by 1Password as my middle name, which is fair, but misses this edge case.

I can understand why "Cardholder Name" being a single field was used. (see Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names)

Not sure what the fix would be here.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 2.0.5 (Firefox)
OS Version: macOS 12.0 Beta

Comments

• Hello @jcdl,

Thank you for the link. I assume that De is a part of your Last name? As you suspect, 1Password treats the word De as your middle name and will not fill in the First and last name. I understand the confusion since my first name should also have two words, but 1Password always uses only one. However, I have never had trouble using only one word in my first name on my Credit card if a website only asks for your first and last name, such as Netflix.

That said, there is a workaround for this issue if you want. When you encounter a website that divides the first and last name fields into two input fields, you can use your credit card item to fill them first.

After that, you can select the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Select "Suggestions" under the search bar > Identities > Use your identity item to fill your name and 1Password will overwrite the first and last name correctly provided that you add De as a part of your last name in your identity item.

Best regards,

Nhat Nguyen.
    https://support.1password.com/

• jcdl
    jcdl
    Community Member
    Options

I mean it's faster just to fix it manually.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcdl:

Can you also give us an example of a website that does this? It would be useful for our developers to test this, and see if there is anything they can do :+1:

• jcdl
    jcdl
    Community Member
    Options

The most recent site I encountered it on was: https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-drivers-licence

I don't think you'd be able to get to the credit card form if you don't have an expired driver's license to renew though.

The Netflix example mentioned above also has the same behaviour. My last name is "De Leo" so removing the "De" would completely change it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks for the additional info @jcdl .

We'll try to look into this but I don't see an easy solution here from the top of my head.
    For now, as a workaround, you can change your name on the card to Name DeName so that it will fill in the De as a part of your family name, and then you'll be able to simply space it out.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

ref: dev/core/core#6633

This discussion has been closed.