Accessibility issues for dyslexia

Options
psagers
psagers
Community Member

I was recently helping a friend migrate from 1Password 6 standalone to a 1password.com account. At one point we were signing up for a new account somewhere and she balked at using the default automatically generated password. Prior to the upgrade, she didn't have her devices syncing very effectively and had periodically had to transcribe passwords from one device to another. Being dyslexic, this was a grueling and frustrating process. Of course, having all of her devices set up properly will solve most of this problem, but one can never entirely eliminate the edge cases. (I was later talking about this with a friend who works in VR and he pointed out that transcribing long random passwords into things like game and VR consoles is inevitable and quite painful for anyone).

For most of us, transcribing 20 characters of gibberish is irritating but doable. For someone with dyslexia, this can be excruciating, bordering on impossible. I showed her how to adjust the password recipe to generate a short phrase to serve as the core of a generated password, but that seems to only be a one-off feature. Having a way to set the default password-generator recipe would be very helpful here.

It might also be interesting to look at "reveal password" modes that are more amenable to different brains. Separating the characters into groups of 3 might be useful for some. And I was a little surprised not to find an existing voice interface; I don't know what the accessibility story for blind users is (I couldn't get VoiceOver to read a password), but there might be some useful overlap here. Incidentally, audio would also be incredibly useful to VR users.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.4
Referrer: forum-search:dyslexia

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @psagers!

First of all, thank you for all your feedback!

Having a way to set the default password-generator recipe would be very helpful here.

Since you posted in the Mac section of the forum, I am assuming you are looking for a way to do this in the 1Password for Mac desktop app, right? In this case, you can use the password generator settings for this:

The options you set there the first time you create a password will also remain as default values for any other password you generate later, until you change the settings again :+1:

And I was a little surprised not to find an existing voice interface; I don't know what the accessibility story for blind users is (I couldn't get VoiceOver to read a password), but there might be some useful overlap here.

1Password does support VoiceOver, so this should work as far as I know. Can you try updating from 1Password for Mac 7.7 to the latest version - 7.8.7 - and see if that improves things for you?

This discussion has been closed.