Turn off floating window mode in 1PW8?

Options

The new 1PW 8 seems to want to always float above other apps, which can make it very difficult to switch between open windows. I can understand that this might be a default setting for various reasons, but I see no option to turn this off?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @luhmann_1p, thanks for taking the time to raise this today.

I'd like to understand a little more about this. So far, when I've tested it out, I've found that 1Password 8:

• opens on top of other apps, as you noted
    • retreats into the background when another window is selected
    • stays in the background when another window is opened, and then un-maximized (that is, when the "Restore Down" button is used)
    • can be paired with other apps side-by-side using Windows key + left | right

Is that the case for you?

If not, feel free to let me know what you're seeing (or even better, do a screengrab!) and we'll help you out.
    If it does work as described but that's still a problem for you, feel free to go in a little more on the specifics and we might be able to file this as a potential area of improvement for our developers.

We get that 1Password should be fluid and intuitive to use, so I'm very interested to hear your feedback.

• luhmann_1p
    luhmann_1p
    Community Member
    Options

"retreats into the background when another window is selected" this is working now. Earlier it was not. I will update if the problem returns.

• Thank you @luhmann_1p! Glad to hear it's working properly. In any case, we'll be happy to jump in and figure this out should the issue return. We appreciate you letting us know - feedback is a big part of how we make sure everything performs securely, responsively, and generally up to standard.

• luhmann_1p
    luhmann_1p
    Community Member
    Options

I am now able to reproduce and explain the problem. This only happens when 1password is invoked while an app is in full screen mode. If I am using an app not in full screen mode, there is no problem, but if I am in full screen mode, 1pw opens up as a floating window in the same "space" and will not go away unless the window is closed. Before the new version there would be a small mini browser which did this which was fine, because it was small, but this is less then ideal with the huge window that opens up now.

• Hey @luhmann_1p

Thank you for that information. One thing that I think will help with that is we plan to make the new Quick Access feature work with full screen apps. This would enable you to open a small 1Password interface to do a quick lookup while in another app, instead of having to open the main 1Password window.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9247

This discussion has been closed.