Every browser has to be unlocked individually

Options
thymaraK
thymaraK
Community Member

I usually have at least 5 browsers open. So far I've had to open 1PW in each of them individually even though the 1PW desktop app is open. This has me typing my password at least 6 times

What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-44.BETA
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: BIG SUR 11.5 (20G71)

Comments

• Hi @thymaraK, thanks for letting us know about this.

Can you let us know what version of 1Password you're using in any one of those browsers? You can do this by clicking on the 1Password icon, then gear icon > settings. You should see the exact version listed underneath the big 1Password title.

If the app is recent enough, you'll also want to check under General to make sure the option Integrate with 1Password app is enabled.

I'll look forward to learning what you find. We'll make sure that everything works together properly for you!

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having the same problem.

1Password for Mac 8.2.0-44.BETA
    Chrome Extension version 2.0.5

• thymaraK
    thymaraK
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Brave browser, 1PW is version 2.0.5, Safari shows version 2.0.6
    In 1PW desktop app PREFERENCES Browser tab has checked Connect with 1Password in the browser

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Silverbullet:

Do you have the option Integrate with 1Password app enabled? Here is a screenshot for you:

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member
    Options

Both are checked. I have tried restarting the extension and the browser as well.

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I just restarted the 1password app and now it seems to be linked as far as unlocking, but if i click "edit" from the browser extension nothing happens.

• thymaraK
    thymaraK
    Community Member
    Options

Another issue is that the time-out value for the browser seems to be set to 10 mins. I've changed my app to be "never" which is not a browser option

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Silverbullet @thymaraK

I'd love to take a look at the console log to see if 1Password in the browser throws any errors at us. That may give us some insight as to where things are going wrong. If you wouldn't mind grabbing one, you can find our guide here:
    Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Side note: If you feel more comfortable emailing us a copy of the log, feel free to send it to support+x@1password.com with a link to this post along with your forum username.

@thymaraK – In response to your latest comment regarding the lock out time, it sounds to me like things aren't connecting the way they should. I don't see lock settings on my browser settings page at all. That's because they're all being controlled through the desktop app. Logs should help, so let's start there!

• unknowndomain
    unknowndomain
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed 1P8 and immediately removed it after discovering that this was happening to me, I am not interested in signing in to every browser, and authenticating manually without Touch ID either.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unknowndomain – That doesn't sound ideal in any way, shape, or form! If you do end up deciding to give it another go in the future, we'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you. Let us know, and we'll be here. :)

• thymaraK
    thymaraK
    Community Member
    Options

I'll do the console log next but here's the lock control within 1PW using Chrome. I've got it set to 300 mins but the default goes to 10 min

• Thanks for sharing that @thymaraK! As @kaitlyn mentioned, when things are working correctly that option should disappear entirely and your lock state will be kept in sync with the app. Moving to email is best - if you grab that log and share your ticket mask (it'll look something like #ABC-12345-123) we can jump in as a priority.

• thymaraK
    thymaraK
    Community Member
    Options

1PW support has resolved my problem. Turns out the desktop app was installed in the wrong location, thanks for finding this Kevin, my browsers, with the exception of Vivaldi, now sync the lockout value with the desktop app.

Great work by the support team in finding this user error.

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member
    Options

I sent my logs to support+x@1password.com

• Thank you for letting us know, @thymaraK! It's great to hear the issue has been worked out. 🙌

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, am having this issue with the Chrome plugin, but in the Vivaldi browser, and only the Vivaldi browser. The plugin works fine, version 2.0.5, but, even with the option to Lock 1P turned OFF entirely, and having quit and restarted Vivaldi, any restart of Vivaldi always starts with 1P8 locked within that browser.

This is not the behaviour with the Brave plugin - which, interestingly, does not even HAVE an option to automatically lock 1P within Brave.

Like the original poster, I typically am running four or five browsers simultaneously, so having a consisting experience is advantageous.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doetraar – It's definitely peculiar that you're not seeing lock settings on the 1Password settings page in Brave, yet it's still not unlocking the way I'd expect. 🤔 Have you tried giving your entire computer a restart yet? I'm often using multiple browsers at once, myself, so I feel your pain. Let me know how the reboot goes!

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

I also can report that the plugin in Vivaldi doesn't seem to be working properly, in that the unlock state between the app and the browser plugin doesn't match. I need to type in my password in both locations.

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

A bit more information, @kaitlyn -

• Rebooted, did not help
    • Removed 1P entirely from Vivaldi
    • Re-installed only 1Password Beta (2.0.5) into Vivaldi from Chrome Store
    • Problem persists

In specific, whilst I NOW see the ability to turn off automatic lock, and lock whilst sleeping, I still, every time I start Vivaldi, have to enter my Master Password. I have tried various iterations of disabling and re-enabling the auto-lock and restarting Vivaldi - no impact.

The option to "Integrate with 1Password app" is also enabled.

This was after a full shutdown of the computer, then power start up. Other browsers (Firefox, Brave, Safari, etc) are not showing this behaviour.

After re-installing the extension, I was forced to sign-in to 1Password with my full username/secret key/master password/2FA hardware token before the extension would work. In other extensions, this was not required.

This discussion has been closed.