(macOS) - Apple Watch unlock after reboot

Options

I'm using my Apple Watch with 1Password and my iMacPro ...
With 1Password 7 I didn't had the impression that I need to use the password the first time after a reboot like it is with 1 Password 8 ...
Especially with the beta cycle we are not on a world where you don't reboot your Mac for weeks now ...

I hope it's temporary and there will be an improvement to only put the "complex" Master password only every 2 weeks (if we had the option for more I will take it...)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mcnahum,

Thanks so much for the testing out 1Password 8!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with using Apple Watch Unlock right after a reboot.

That definitely sounds off Apple Watch unlock should work after you initially log into your Mac.

If you put your Mac to sleep and wake it up right after logging in can you use Apple Watch unlock for your Mac?

On the Lock screen of 1Password do you see the biometrics button or any warnings or alerts?

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

now it's even worse... I see TouchID in the Preferences | Security menu (It's and iMacPro ... so no TouchID possible) and not anymore the Apple Watch option,
    Apple Watch unlock on the device is working correctly but 1 Password is detecting nothing.

1 mistake I could have done is on the wizard, when you start 1Password 8 for the first time, you see "enable touchID" and I checked that (thinking will activate the Apple Watch unlock) ... could it be this?

• 7h31ll3g4l
    7h31ll3g4l
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Unfortunately, unlocking with AW does not work we hope in the upcoming beta 1password 8:)

• rob
    Options

We've fixed a couple Apple Watch issues this past week. Let us know if this is still not working for you in the next beta, which should be out sometime this week.

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

so It's better but not perfect ... yesterday unlock with Apple Watch was there all day (the computer was off sunday) and today (no reboot just on sleep during the night) it's ask for the master password when it decided to lock...

• rob
    Options

@mcnahum are you on the nightly or the beta? There are a couple fixes that will be in the next beta, but it hasn't been released yet. They should be in the nightly already though. The next beta will be a version after 8.2.2-7, which is the current nightly.

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

I’m on the beta but maybe make sense to move to nightly…

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

@rob, I just installed the beta that shipped today. Apple Watch unlock still requires pressing the biometric unlock button or hitting the return key. This is my biggest gripe with the beta right now, that the biometric unlocking on my M1 Mac mini with my Apple Watch is not automatically triggered. I also do not see any release notes yet for today's beta.

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

I moved to 8.2.2-8.NIGHTLY ... still not Apple Watch unlock on my iMacPro ... let me know if you need any details..

• rob
    Options

Thanks, folks. I looked again and we do have a known issue still open where the Apple Watch unlock prompt will not appear automatically on a device that doesn't have Touch ID (like a Mac mini or iMac). That matches what @alexclst is reporting. @mcnahum are you able to trigger Apple Watch unlock by pressing the biometric unlock button or hitting the return key? Or is Apple Watch unlock not working in those cases either?

I don't have an Apple Watch to test this with, so if there's a problem outside the known issue I described, I'll make sure someone with an Apple Watch sees this thread.

ref: dev/core/core#8826

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

When you want to log there is nothing else that the enter password option ...

Thanks of taking care of this, again if you want any logs or info let me know...

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

I looked again and we do have a known issue still open where the Apple Watch unlock prompt will not appear automatically on a device that doesn't have Touch ID (like a Mac mini or iMac). That matches what @alexclst is reporting

@rob --I'm a little confused as to what the expected behavior is right now...on my MacBook Pro 2017 with touchbar, when I'm using it in clamshell mode with external monitors, 1Password has an Apple Watch button next to the password field. When the lid is open, that icon changes to a touch ID icon. I must click that icon or hit enter to get the prompt to unlock on my watch. Is this the current expected behavior for unlock with Apple Watch?

• mcnahum
    mcnahum
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting new situation ... as I moved to the NIGHTLY ... everytime when 1Password does not display the Apple Watch icon, I look for an update , install it ... the apple watch icon come back.
    is there a way to "fully" restart 1 Password? it should have the same effect... it's will be a workaround but better...

This discussion has been closed.