Hide documents/attachments?

Options

In 1Password v7 (and before), all the documents attached to an item were “contained” within that item.
In v8, they are all listed individually in addition of being presented with in the corresponding item as well
I have no use whatsoever for listing individual attachments separately from the item they belong too. Is there a way to unclutter the UI and hide them from the list of “All Items”?? I looked through the preferences and couldn’t figure out how to do so.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cortig!

Do you see the option to attach a file to your entries?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana I think you misunderstood my issue…
    The documents are all properly attached to the corresponding items.
    In 1Password v7, the list of all items was different. It didn’t show the documents attached to the different items. I could see them by selecting the items themselves though.
    In 1Password v8, I can see them when I select the items themselves (just like before), BUT Also see them listed all individually in the list of all items in the main part of the UI, which makes for a very cluttered list…

I just would like to have a way not to display them there. As far as I’m concerned, they have nothing to do in the list and should only be shown inside the item they belong to.

I should only see there documents I decided to add without attaching them to an individual item (which, I believe, wasn’t possible in v7, it has to be new to v8)

Corentin.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

I agree

• Ben
    Options

Indeed; attachments are new in 1Password 8. I know it is a bit of a pain to go back through and attach these files to their parent items and then delete the Document item, but that would be the way to accomplish what you want to achieve in the near-term. I will certainly pass the feedback here along to the appropriate folks though. Thanks!

Ben

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

This seems like something that should happen automatically as part of migrating a vault from 1P7, I'd think- presumably if somebody had an attachment linked to an item in their vault under the old system, they would want it to remain that way in the new system?

• Ben
    Options

The difficulty is that 1Password 7 doesn't support modern attachments. I am advocating for exactly what you've said, though. Hopefully we can make that happen. 🤞🏻

Ben

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben That's very good to hear, thanks! In my mind, it's about preserving the expected semantics as much as possible from the previous version (i.e., attachments are associated with a specific vault item). :-)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for letting me know @Ben. The current behavior feels really weird to me.

And the more I interact with attachments in v8, the less I like it :-\ I tried to preview an attachment, it took me to the document—where I could not review it. I had to download it first, then I could use quick view. After that, I had to perform a search to find the original item… Not a stellar experience :-(

Corentin

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Following up on this: When I perform a search for an item that has an attachment, I get double the results… Once for the item, and once for the attachment!
    On some searches on somewhat generic queries, it really really makes for a long list (where half the results are, by nature, useless).

This discussion has been closed.