1PW 8 for Mac issues with the menubar icon

Options
gdhnz
gdhnz
Community Member

The new menubar icon is not loading at login automatically like the old 1Password mini app.

However, when a browser with the plugin installed is opened, we get the menubar icon when it automatically launches the full 1Password app and prompts to enter your master password.

This is ludicrous. Why is a full app launch required to unlock when a browser is first launched? What happened to the old 1Password Mini/browser behaviour. Just as frustrating is the change of shortcuts between 1PW7 and 1PW8.

1Password is supposed to work for me not the other way round.

How long will 1PW7 still work once 1PW8 is released?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gdhnz,

Thanks so much for trying out 1Password 8 Early Access!

Something seems off, 1Password 8 launches at login for me. Could you provide detail on what version of macOS you are running?

On the issue with 1Password in the browser, it sounds like these two issues are related. The main window appears only so you can unlock 1Password once and have it unlocked in each browser and the main app. I can see why this may be a bit jarring, if you didn't expect it. We can definitely make this process more smooth, if you have a device with Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock support I think we already do a great job there (you just see the prompt from macOS to unlock 1Password).

The biggest difference between the experience of 1Password 7 & 1Password 8 in this respect is that 1Password 7 would show a smaller window when you needed to type in your password to unlock 1Password. Both apps would have the app running in the background, I agree that we we could increase the polish here. I have reported this internally so our team can make this a better process.

On how long will 1Password 7 still work, I don't know that, currently you can still run very old versions of 1Password (pre-1Password 7) and they work with some caveats (for features Apple removed from modern versions of macOS). 1Password 7 is designed to work on Big Sur & works perfectly on Monterey I imagine 1Password 7 will still work for quite a while. We are actively working on improving 1Password 8, so hopefully we won't need to ask this question to far into the future because of how great 1Password 8 will be when we release it fully.

ref: dev/core/core#9302

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the Monterey beta on Intel hardware at the moment and nothing is showing in my login items.

My preferred behaviour is the 1Password mini behaviour where the menubar icon loads but doesn't prompt to unlock until you need to autofill a password in a browser.

As an aside, Apple Watch unlocking is not working and now neither is 1Password for Safari (no extension showing in Safari preferences).

• rob
    Options

Hey, @gdhnz. Sorry for the delayed response here. Are you still having difficulty? 1Password for Safari is now a separate app that you can install from the App Store. This is related to a new way of writing extensions for Safari that Apple has provided.

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to get the extension to show in Safari by running the terminal command from https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608474/#Comment_608474 to rebuild the launch services database.

Things seem to have settled down with 1PW8 now but I still miss the old quick access menu and the old default shortcut.

• rob
    Options

Ah, cool, I'm glad you were able to get the Safari extension to show up again, @gdhnz. As for Quick Access, that feature is still pretty young, so your feedback on it will be helpful as we make improvements there. Other than the unlocking behavior, what's the thing you miss most about the old 1Password mini?

We're also still looking at keyboard shortcuts. We brought back Command-\ for filling, and I think other shortcuts are still under consideration.

This discussion has been closed.