Default to fingerprint unlock on 1Password 8?

alpha
alpha
Community Member

I am testing the beta release of 1Password 8 at the moment. Unlocking app requires the password, but I am able to choose the fingerprint option manually. Is there an option to default to fingerprint instead? I don't see a setting just yet.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @alpha

If Touch ID is available. it should offer you that option. Do you have both 7 and 8 installed?

• mshamash
    mshamash
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I think what @alpha is referring to is automatic prompting to scan your fingerprint, like was the case in 1Password 7.x. Instead here I need to click the Touch ID icon and then it'll prompt me to scan my finger.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

What @mshamash mentioned. I see another report on Twitter:

• @alpha

The app should be prompting you for Touch ID automatically if you have it set up (which it sounds like you do), so this could be a bug on our end. Could you give some more details on how you are using the app when you see this happen? I worked on this feature and I want to make sure it's working properly for you!

• Hi @alpha and @mshamash, thanks so much for checking out the early access and providing feedback :) 1Password should be automatically prompting for your fingerprint when you come back to it.

Would you be able to provide any steps to reproduce what you're seeing? There are a couple of cases that we're already tracking, but it would be helpful to know if there are others that we haven't seen yet.

And as a workaround for now, if you hit enter on an empty lock screen, then the TouchID prompt will come up for you.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

I haven't restarted my MacBook in a while. So, every time I bring the 1Password app into view, the app prompts me for a master password instead of the TouchID. I am able to click on that fingerprint icon to submit my fingerprint, but would prefer that to be the default choice.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

And as a workaround for now, if you hit enter on an empty lock screen, then the TouchID prompt will come up for you.

Thanks for letting me know. Let me try that.

• mshamash
    mshamash
    Community Member

Hi @andiAG and @ag_Jonathan,

I noticed that when 1Password 8 is open to the unlock screen (photo attached) in the background, if I use the keyboard shortcut (Command Shift Backslash) from Safari, it just brings the 1Password window to the top of the window hierarchy, not prompting for fingerprint. If I git enter (the workaround you suggested), then it will prompt me. Similarly, if I use the shortcut once more, it will close the 1Password window, and using the shortcut again will open the window with a prompt for Touch ID.

Hope this help!

• proza
    proza
    Community Member

I came here for the same reason. Upgraded from 7 to 8 EA.
    The ENTER workaround is reasonable, not too bad though the automatic prompting is preferable to me as it's my primary way of using 1pw (unlock via touch or watch).

I then however rebooted my Mac, and suddenly 1pw appears to be auto prompting again...
    Well - problem solved then, I suppose :) (you may want to solve the issue though that it only did this after reboot)

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

I confirm that restarting my MacBook has fixed the issue for me as well: Touch ID appears to be the default now.

• 🎉 Thanks for the update. I am happy to hear the feature is working better for you. Let us know if that should change. Enjoy!

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

I have this issue as well - BUT with Apple Watch.

1P7
    1. Open it - automatically get the vibration on the watch to unlock.
    2. Double click - it opens

1P8
    1. Open it - nothing happens.
    2. Click the touch id - watch vibrates.
    3. Double click - it opens.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I feel that the underlying bug that doesn't prompt Touch ID as the default, until a restart is done, must be resolved.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

@khaosspawn Do you see an improvement when the MacBook is restarted? Meaning, does the prompt on Apple Watch appear immediately after the restart? That has been my experience, but with Touch ID.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@alpha, for me the Apple Watch unlock is not made default even after a reboot. I just tested that. It absolutely needs to be made the default if set up, as well as Touch ID, before 1P 8 ships. Even if it is possible with an extra keyboard or trackpad click, that is too slow. 1P 8 should not regress on something like this. Unlocking 1P with biometry is really nice, but is currently less so on 1P 8. @ag_tommy and @andiAG you guys need to pass along this feedback.

• alpha
    alpha
    Community Member

The issue occurred once again. I imagine this happens every time the Mac goes to sleep and comes back.

• ludalex
    ludalex
    Community Member

Can confirm this happens to me as well. Sometimes there is no Touch ID prompt when the 1Password 8 app launches, triggered from browser shortcut/button.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Same thing here: TouchID stops being the default once in a while and rebooting the Mac corrects the issue. While we do have a workaround, it seems to reflect an underlying issue to me…

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

I find that force quitting 1Password and reopening it fixed it for me. Easiest way to do this is open the app and do cmd+option+shift+escape.

• Hi folks,

We're looking at a number of improvements regarding Touch ID. This one in particular is on the list to address ASAP.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#8826

This discussion has been closed.