Unable to login to 1Password 8 beta

Options

I've downloaded the 1Password 8 beta.
It picks up my account upon the initial ogin screen, I select that but when trying to login I get the following error (I am only asked for my password):
We weren't able to signin to your account. Maybe there's a typo? Check your sign-in details and try again.

My password is and secret etc are fine. I am able to login via browser with these details and on another MacOS device using 1Password 7.

I am using Yubikey MFA, can this cause an issue?

Can you point me into a right direction so I can sign in to the Beta 8?

Many thanks

1Password Version: Beta 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.5.2

Comments

• dombera
    dombera
    Community Member
    Options

An update: I've tried logging in via browser extension and that prompted me for my OTP. Once entered the OTP, I was logged in to both extension and 1Password8 app so perhaps something related to MFA setups... (I have an OTP and Yubikey setup).

• Hi @dombera, thanks for letting us know about this, and my apologies for not responding sooner.

We'd love to help you set this right. Can you send a quick email to support+mac@1password.com, with a link to this thread? That way, our team can discuss your configuration with you and figure out what might be going on here.

Thanks, and all the best!

• dombera
    dombera
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P Thanks for the reply. I am already up and running as per my second post here.

What the issue is I believe it if a user has multiple MFA methods availabe including Yubikey, this may cause an issue with such user being unable to login via 1Password 8 beta app.

Once i've installed 1Password 8 beta extension for the browser - browser extention prompted for an OTP code - I've entered it and it logged me in nautomatically to both the extenstion and 1Password 8 beta app.

While before going the extension touyre - the app would not let me login at all.

I would recommend the team to try it themselves so they can replicate - they need to enroll Yubikey as an MFA methods.

I myself use two MFA methods on 1PAssword account:

• an OTP via Authy app
    • Yubikey 5C Nano
  • Thank you for this @dombera. I'll run this by our team to see if we can replicate it. Thank you for explaining in detail here!

• tijst
    tijst
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am also unable to login with the latest 1password 8 on my intel Mac, I'm running it on my M1 without issues though (that machine is on MacOS beta too, the intel Mac is on Big Sur). On the intel Mac I cannot login using either the login via website method or the local account detail method. 1password 7.8.8 works fine on the same machine.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tijst

In 1Password 7 do you have a vault called "Primary"? If so that may explain the situation. 1Password 8 does not support standalone vaults such as Primary. With 1Password 7 it is possible to have such a vault, and if you do, the password for that vault is what unlocks the app, instead of your 1Password account password. If your 1Password account has been added to 1Password 7 you should be able to find your 1Password account password on a Login item for 1Password.com.

Please let me know what you find.

Ben

• tijst
    tijst
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have a vault named primary. And I'm already using 1password 8 on my M1 Mac with the same account so I don't think it should have worked on that machine if this was an issue. I can also login to the 1password website with my credentials so I think the credentials are fine.

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here.
    I can login in with mac version 7.9.1 without issue but can't (same message as above posters) with 8.4.0 on the same mac book pro BigSur 11.6.1. Interestingly I can log in into each firefox/chrome 2.1.8 extension as long as I don't have 1passord mac install (since it redirects to it). Please help!

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

I did the following to no avail:
    1. removed all browser extensions (no just disabled)
    2. uninstalled 7 and 8 mac versions
    3. empty trash
    4. found anything that had 1password, onepassword in its path and deleted them (find command as root)
    5. rebooted
    6. reinstalled beta browser extension (2.1.8) and successfully logged in
    7. installed 8 mac but failed log in on my existing account
    8. create a brand new account with 8 mac, made sure I could log in on with web only than tried to log in with 8 mac to no avail!!!! Arg!

Therefore I can assume,
    1. it is not a weird state related to the upgrade since cleaning everything 1password/onepassword related did not change anything (the login did not have any preconfigured account like it did when I just installed 8 on top of a setup 7 so I assume I cleaned up enough but let me know if I did not)
    2. since it happens to a brand new account created with that version, it is not a problem with my existing account.

Note this is a corporate mac book pro running BigSur 11.6.1. It has a bunch of security related lockdowns. It is messing up with my icloud login for example so maybe it could be related?

I had to deinstall the beta and reinstall 7 but let me know what I can do to help troubleshoot this like turn on some debug logging. I tried to turn it on from the preferences but I could not find where it would log things.

Thanks in advance.

J

• Ben
    Options

@jacmorel

It could very well be something specific to the configuration of your computer/network. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

• Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Send Diagnostics
    • Attach the resulting .1pdiagnostics file in your Downloads folder to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• meeDamian
    meeDamian
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Ben, even though you were replying to someone else, since they never replied here & I'm experiencing the exact same issue, I've taken the liberty of following your steps outlined above.

The Support ID I've gotten in response is: #JRV-21469-741

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide, or do.

Bestest bestings, Damian

• Hi @meeDamian:

Thanks for adding your input. I've located your email to us as well, and I'm taking a look now.

Jack

ref: JRV-21469-741

• BrandonW
    BrandonW
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I am also experiencing this issue and have submitted a ticket according to your instructions.

Support ID: #KTX-31867-792

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrandonW:

Thank you, I see your email :+1:

ref: KTX-31867-792

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, had this problem - but it only recently developed.

I'd been using the 1P8 betas since they came out, but, this week ran into a problem: Anything that I added to 1P8 on my MacPro would not synchronise to anything else. It was showing in 1P8 on the Mac, but, it was not showing up in the 1P website, nor on any of my other devices.

In a (foolish) attempt to fix this, I "signed out" of 1Password on my Mac.

I am now unable to sign back in. I am 100% sure the Master Password is correct, and, like others, I have a YubiKey as well a OTP via Authy on my account.

Ironically, because I could not sign in to this forum, as 1P had my credentials stored (and a working 1P is essential to me), I went ahead and downgraded back to 7.9; everything is working just fine again now, however, several items that I added in 1P8 are now entirely lost to me and I'm unable to access the data, or the services, which I had set up in 1P8 on the Mac.

My fault for using a Beta, I know, but, was trying to give the Electron mess a fair shot. Must say, REALLLLLY prefer 7.9.x again...

Anyway, can't send the diagnostics, as installing 7.9.x seems to have nuked 8.x beta. I'm assuming the many items I've recently added that were not synchronising with your back-end storage are permanently gone.

• Hi @doetraar, I'm really sorry to hear about this admittedly not-very-happy situation.

A few thoughts:

• Much of the time, when a customer is unable to sign into a given 1Password app due to technical reasons, we're able to assist and get things set to rights for them. So if you do happen to encounter any sign-in issues in the future, feel free to email us for help - and we'll likely be able to fix whatever it is that went sideways. I understand this isn't much help given that you've already reverted to version 7.9, but I just want to let you know that this kind of assistance is part of what we're here for - and it's part of what you get with your subscription. 👍

Ironically, because I could not sign in to this forum, as 1P had my credentials stored

That is a quandry - but in case it's helpful, there are ways around it in the future. To start, if you download (or print out) a copy of your Emergency Kit, then you should still be able to sign into your account at 1Password.com, or add the 1Password app to a second device that you own.

While this wouldn't solve the question of stranded items on your Mac, it would at least recover the majority of your items and allow you to sign into the forums as you were hoping to.

Several items that I added in 1P8 are now entirely lost to me and I'm unable to access the data, or the services, which I had set up in 1P8 on the Mac.

I'm really sorry to hear this, it's never the kind of scenario we want you to end up in. It's possible that, due to the changes between 8 and 7 on that Mac, the items might be lost ... but they also might not be. I'd recommend checking at 1Password.com to see if they have made it there.

If not, it might still be worth it to send a short email to support+mac@1password.com to see if they're able to help (and if you do, please include a link to this discussion, since you've already provided so much good information for us to go off of). I can't make any promises on this, but we do have the occasional improbable success with data recovery.

Anyway, can't send the diagnostics, as installing 7.9.x seems to have nuked 8.x beta.

This sounds like your setup may still not be quite fixed. You should be able to send diagnostics, no matter what version of 1Password you're on. If that's not the case, though, let us know and we'll be happy to follow up. We also have other ways of retrieving (with your permission) similar diagnostic data even when the app isn't working, and would be happy to do so in order to follow up on those unsynced items, if you'd like.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear about this situation. We're here to help in any way we can!

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comments and suggestion, @PeterG_1P - I'm not too worried about the stranded data in the 8.x beta on my MacPro. I've already gone ahead and performed password resets for the services impacted, and re-entered the other data that was missing into the 7.x version.

The core issue, however, is one that I did report some months ago.

Essentially, "syncing" on macOS isn't working right with 8.x.

I can probably find the thread if needed, but, the problem I've been having is that 8.x would regularly not send, or receive, updates from 1Password.com.

For example, if I used my iPhone and added a new item, it would show up fine on the 1Password.com website, and my iPad, but not show up at all on macOS 8.x beta. I could wait minutes or hours, no change.

However, if I made a minor modification to an existing item on 8.x on my MacPro, for example, adding a Note to an existing item, it would kickstart something and the missing item from the iPhone would appear shortly thereafter.

When things broke the other week and I reverted to 7.x, I'd already checked 1Password.com to see if the data from macOS was being pushed up, and, nope, it never made it there for the items that are now gone. It was after that point that I had hoped that signing out, and back in, on macOS, would work. Which is what left me in an impossible to sign-in state.

The emergency kit would not work either, macOS 1P 8.x would not accept my username/secret key/Master Password. My gut feeling was that this was somehow related to the fact that I had both Authy AND YubiKey set up for MFA on signing in to 1P.

So, I could have visited this forum from my iPhone or iPad, but, I had work to get on with and the priority was getting 1P working on macOS. So far, 7.x is doing just fine, and I really, REALLY missed the ease with which I can move items around between vaults, delete multiple items, and several other things that 8.x just did not support (and for which the UI was frustrating).

Alas, I don't feel comfortable with the 8.x beta now and trying to pin down what caused this, as my reliance on 1Password is just too great, and being locked out isn't something I can risk again. I am getting a new laptop soon, so, I may throw the beta on there as it won't be a critical system.

• hnn79
    hnn79
    Community Member
    Options

Had a similar experience. Wanted to try out v8 on the Mac (liked some things, but honestly missed the native feeling), and at first it worked fine.

But after a while, I noticed, that items did not sync anymore. When viewing the trash, I remember reading somethink like "offline" or "cannot connect" or something. So when nothing else worked, I tried logging out and in again. I never got this to work again - I am 100% sure and tried many times to input my data, but it always showed an error.

Similar to the previous poster I have given up on v8 for now, since this bug is to severe, and since v8 interfered with v7 too much, I also uninstalled it for now.

So there seems to be a serious connection issue with v8 for Mac in some cases. Unlike the previous poster, I do not suspect MFA etc. to be interfering here, since the error occurred for me after successfully being logged in, as sync failed. To me, it seems more like a general connection issue to 1P servers, but I cannot figure out why. I do run Little Snitch, but disabling the Network Filter did not help. The Mac firewall did not seem to contain any problematic settings. As all my other devices and indeed v7 on my Mac can connect just fine, my router and ISP should be ok.

• Hey @hnn79 / @doetraar:

We've narrowed down what we believe is the root cause of this, and the fix should be available in the next beta for 1Password 8 for Mac.

Jack

• hnn79
    hnn79
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten. Thanks for the quick reply. I will keep an eye out for the new beta and try again, if I find the time. Hopefully I can then give feedback on whether I can login again, and also, if sync now continues to work. Let's hope for the best. :)

• hnn79
    hnn79
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

The good news: todays update (80500103) fixed the login problem for me.
    The bad news: I am losing faith in 1passwords synching (or at least in its abiilty to count).
    For the category logins, 1PW iOS (70904001) shows 575 items, 1PW7 Mac (70902005) shows 567 items and 1PW8 Mac (80500103) shows 602 items. What am I to believe, and how can I be sure that items are synching properly. :(

• Hi @hnn79, I'm sorry to learn of this. That does sound like a potential sync issue, and (fortunately) it's something that we here in customer support can help with. Could you send a brief email to support+mac@1Password.com, with a link to this discussion so that we have the appropriate background information? With that established, we should be able to help set this right for you. And we'll be happy to set the situation right!

• hnn79
    hnn79
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P Thank you for the offer. After a good nights sleep and a fresh look I have to admit that a problem existed between chair and keyboard - I had selected only a (different) subset of all vaults to show in 1PW iOS and 1PW7 Mac and all vaults to show in 1PW8 Mac. After selecting all vaults in all programs, I am getting identical counts across all versions.
    Lets hope syncing keeps up with 1PW8 (my initial problem), but for now I am optimistic. :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks so much for the update @hnn79. Very glad to hear that was the cause, and not a return of syncing issues. Please keep an eye on it though and let us know if anything comes up. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.