Unlocking 1Password Safari icon

Options

Here's an observation...

Safari was opened and the 1P Safari icon was locked. I then launched the 1P macOS app and unlocked it. Went back to Safari, clicked on the locked 1P Safari icon and it flashed the locked window for an instant, but it unlocked without further intervention by me. Now, I accelerated the timeout period by invoking the screen saver. I moved the cursor to wake from screen saver mode and both the 1P Safari icon and the macOS app were locked.

I click on the locked 1P Safari icon and both the 1P Safari popover and the 1P macOS unlock window appeared.

I think that it's kinda redundant to have both windows. As you'd think that clicking on the locked 1P Safari icon would just open the 1P macOS login window instead. Or is one required for the other to happen?

1Password Version: 8.20-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• That's a good question, @r8ders2k. I asked our browser team to look at it.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @r8ders2k!

First off, thank you so much for helping push the boundaries of 1Password and jumping in on the Early Access release.

1Password for Safari is using the newest cross-platform extension APIs that Apple has to offer. But, unfortunately, those APIs don't yet allow us to open the popover programmatically. So to ensure you can see 1Password unlocked in Safari, we need to keep the popover open while you unlock the 1Password for Mac. If you're using Touch ID to unlock, there's only a dialog, but if you're on a Mac without Touch ID, we show you the entire main app to give you a place to enter your account password.

I do have an issue filed with Apple to help us make this a smoother user experience, but in the meantime, you'll see two windows when "Integrate with 1Password app" is enabled in the 1Password for Safari settings. This should only happen while unlocking.

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

Makes sense, thanks!

• Not a problem @r8ders2k, I'm glad Beyer was able to help out! :smile: Let us know if you have any further feedback. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.