Two accounts - now needs two different passwords every time you login?

Options
13»

Comments

• Peter Agocs
    Peter Agocs
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for hardware key support

• Thanks again for your feedback, @Peter Agocs. I've added a vote on your behalf and appreciate you taking the time to explore this thread. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-853

• cjcodes
    cjcodes
    Community Member
    Options

To add a little bit to this discussion: I think we're all anchoring on a solution and the discrepancy between 1P7 and 1P8 behavior. Instead, if we think of this as a UX problem, I think we can address the security needs and reduce the toil of having to enter multiple passwords.

I, too, agree with not using the same password across my personal and corporate accounts. However, I would propose that we can make the lives of those living in this world easier. Sure, hardware keys and Touch ID help, but my work laptop is hidden away from my main desk.

So instead, I would propose that y'all consider this to be a UX problem. The main issue I run into is that, once I enter a password to log in to one account, 1P8 thinks I'm done. It's not until I need a password from another account that I then realize I haven't logged in yet, and that UX is clunky. Instead, I would prefer the option to enter all of my main passwords at once when 1P launches for the first time. This UX pattern already exists: y'all do it when migrating from 7 to 8: there was a popup box that let me log in to both accounts before clicking "Done."

This, while clunkier than 1P7's approach, still solves for the "why are my credentials not showing up? oohhh, because I'm not logged into that other account yet."

• FWest98
    FWest98
    Community Member
    Options

I would be in favour of all three suggestions posted here:

• Allowing 1P to unlock other accounts based on stored credentials in the first account. This solves the "client" issue
    • Allowing 1P to unlock all accounts using a hardware security key; I would very much be in favour of that
    • Having an option to force me to unlock all accounts when Hello is not available, to improve the UX of getting all accounts unlocked.
  • LongTime1Puser2022
    LongTime1Puser2022
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time 1Password user, from the standalone vault days, through Dropbox sync and currently use 1password.com.
    The service and application has been outstanding up until version 8.

I am still at a loss as to why I cannot unlock multiple vaults using a single password.

I am a user who has multiple separate paid 1password.com accounts setup in my 1Password applications. These are not a family/shared account.

Let's call them John and Mary accounts.

• I have read through these posts and understand the premise of what used to be a "master vault" and the confusion that caused and the technical reason outlined as to why it has to go. I completely agree, and had concerns about this approach when initially using this feature in previous versions.
    • I don't think using the same master password across vaults is a good idea, this is a decision by users ultimately, but not a robust long term solution.
    • As I see it, the whole idea of 1Password is to (1) improve security, and (2) streamline the "login" experience, be it using an App, a website, or whatever

I fail to understand how there is not a feature and associated UX element which allows me to:
    1. Install a 1Password v8 client and initially add/login as John
    2. Store the details for Mary's 1Password account in John's account, including email, secret key, master password and 2FA for Mary's account - all formatted correctly
    3. Add Mary's account to my 1Password v8 clients, initial setup being completed by manually entering all account info or scanning the QR code
    4. Instead of 1Password asking me to unlock Mary's account by manually every subsequent Application restart by entering Mary's master password, it takes the fact I store Mary's account credentials in an already unlocked account and proceeds to unlock Mary's account

To me, this solution embodies the very underpinnings of 1Password - taking complex password information which has been previously securely unlocked and presenting it to applications to fast authentication.

F*@^ing fix it already.

This discussion has been closed.