An export revealed 1Password is saving data it shouldn't

SpikeGuy
SpikeGuy
Community Member

Hello. Long time user here and I bought the license version of 1Password 7 around its launch. Recently I exported my local-only vault from 1Password 7 on my Mac in the pif format and I initially was baffled by what I was seeing when I did an import of my data into another password manager. I was seeing custom fields I didn't expect, especially my birthday. I eventually realized that on some websites 1Password had saved info I entered when I signed up at that website. The entry in 1Password didn't show them in view mode or edit mode so I never saw them. The entry for my identity theft monitoring service even had the last 4 digits of my social!! This screenshot is an example for my entry for Blaze Pizza in Bitwarden using my imported 1Password 7 data. I picked this as an example because I'm 100% sure it was created with 1Password 7 and not an earlier version of 1Password. If this isn't corrected already in 1Password 8 I hope this helps.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.7 (70807004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SpikeGuy!

Those are indeed web form fields. They are saved inside each 1Password entry and they are used to understand page structure and filling behavior. I will share your suggestions with the team :+1:

• SpikeGuy
    SpikeGuy
    Community Member

Thank you! Many of them I wouldn't care about but I absolutely would not want my birthday and last 4 of my social stored.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it, thank you for the feedback @SpikeGuy :+1:

This discussion has been closed.